It's Time to Start Thinking About Aquascaping & Theming Our 60 Gallon Goldie Tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's Time to Start Thinking About Aquascaping & Theming Our 60 Gallon Goldie Tank...

I realize it's not the customary thing to do -- that is, adding decor, foliage and doing aquascaping -- once fish are in a tank and comfortable, but because our budget was simply wiped out after the last tank crash we sustained, we had to scrape up enough just to get it up and running again (before it cracked). What we ended up buying was natural-colored pebble substrate (we had shades of blue in the last tank, which was "pirate ship" themed) that looks like this:

Top Fin® Polished Pebbles - 2 lbs - Gravel & Sand - Fish - PetSmart

And because my INITIAL intention was to make this a natural-themed habitat (which my wife doesn't like for some reason) even with plastic flora, we bought one of these:

Top Fin® Grey Tree Root Ornaments - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart (not this one exactly, but one that looks like a real "tree trunk" sitting upright)

We put the tree trunk ornament in the left corner and added THIS to the right corner when we started to think we would go with an ASIAN theme because of the goldfish we're keeping:

Petco Asian Gazebo Aquatic Décor at PETCO

My wife did some aquascaping, and created a little "swirling garden" leading from the gazebo pictured above, cutting out pieces of this:

Marineland® Boxwood Plant Mat - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart

Now -- behind the tree trunk ornament in the left corner, we placed one tall green plant like this:

MARINELAND® Cabomba and Ambulia Artificial Plants - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart

As well as in the right corner behind the Asian gazebo, and also in the right corner, we placed this, to bring in some of the red from the gazebo:

Top Fin&reg Ludwigia Plastic Plant - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart

Aside from these pieces, we added some small, "spiky" kinds of plants that peek out of the holes in the tree stump, such as:

Top Fin&reg Aquarium Mini Plants - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart (the ones with red and green)
Top Fin&reg Mini Hairgrass Plastic Plant - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart

Aside from the two 18" bubble bars going across the back of the tank, side by side so they create a near wall-to-wall curtain of bubbles, that's it for decor right now. Just last night, my wife picked this up:

Top Fin® Three-Arch Bridge Ornament - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart

As we saw this bridge being used in one of Petsmart's demo tanks they staged online for a goldfish/Asian setup; I haven't put it in the tank yet, and I was thinking of placing it kind of over the "winding garden" that kind of snakes into the middle of the tank, leading from the Asian gazebo. So, the bridge would kind of go over the garden right in the center of the tank...

Here's my problem: We are completely unsure what kind of "theme" we're going with here, and we definitely know we need better lighting to show the fish and the decor off (the fluorescent lamps included in the hoods of the new Marineland 60 gallon we just set up are AWFUL, casting a sickly kind of greenish, cold hue to the water) as well as some kind of background on the tank to add dramatics and illusion of depth. I would like some assistance with aquascaping ideas based on what we have in there now, and what we should presumably go with...any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

First of all: HERE is the tank I was talking about that we noticed on Petsmart's site, and which caught our attention for design inspiration:

Petsmart.com - Sale: Fish: Top Fin® 55 Gallon Starter Kit
AND
55 Gallon Fish Tank » Top Fin® 55 Gallon Starter Kit | PetSmart

You can see where they staged/placed the bridge we just recently acquired towards the right corner of that tank -- not sure how I like that, but they are suggesting this bridge CAN be used in an Asian-type design. In the center, they have that kind of "Buddha" statue and then off to the left is a dragon bubbler (we decided against this decoration because my wife wanted to go more "Zen" and relaxing with the Asian decor). I do like how they have an injection of red throughout the aquarium in terms of plants, and I believe they have a black background on the tank. Further, the gravel they're using in this picture is exactly the kind of natural pebble substrate we have in ours, so that would be a fit, I suppose...

Here are my thoughts/questions: First of all, does it make sense to use this kind of bridge pictured in the tank images above and which we just purchased in an ASIAN THEMED setup? To me, it kind of looks like a bridge you'd see connecting, perhaps, two castles together if you were going with the castle theme; speaking of that, THESE pieces really intrigued me if we were going to tear the setup we have in there now down and just start over, but they're RIDICULOUSLY expensive:

Penn Plax Large Magical Castle Aquarium Ornament at PETCO
Penn Plax South Castle Aquarium Décor at PETCO

My thought was that, as I said, we could place two of these pieces in the middle of the tank with the bridge we have now "connecting" them, and the remainder of the tank would be all plastic plants...I just don't know if I want to go with the expense of doing the castle theme or if it's too "childish." Your thoughts?

Okay, so my next question involves the little red Asian gazebo piece I cited above and if that "meshes" with the tree stump ornament that's in the left corner of the tank right now; is the tree stump piece something that could "go" with an Asian theme? Perhaps we could move the tree stump off the extreme left of the tank, a bit more to the right and more "off-center" and use that as more of a focal point (not using the bridge then) with lots of plants then in the tank and the gazebo still off on the right, but something doesn't "flow" to me when I think of that...

Ideally, I wanted to do (fake) driftwood pieces, logs, rock caves, etc. which are also sold at these chain stores for the more "natural" setup, but my wife doesn't want it, and would rather go with either the Zen/Asian design or MAYBE consider the expense of beginning again and buying the castles...the thought of the "Asian" habitat intrigued me, as that's where the goldfish call their native habitat, but of course you wouldn't see Asian gazebos under the water in the rivers and lakes they inhabit...

What are your opinions on aquascaping/theming this tank? The aquarium is ridiculously narrow and more tall than long, so I can't fit much in terms of heavy, bulky pieces of decor. We barely got the tree stump ornament in there...but I am more concerned with continuing the Asian/Zen theme and incorporating the tree stump element somehow (or not), or scrapping the whole thing and going with the "connected castles" as I mentioned (though we really don't have a budget for this and would like to make what we already have work).

Then, the question becomes...how do you successfully aquascape with plants and such so that the design "flows" and looks "built up" with lush bushes and plants in back and smaller ones up front? I've just NEVER been good at this...:(

If anyone could assist with any of these elements, lending insight, opinion and/or perspective, please feel free to indulge with your thoughts in this thread!

Thank you, in advance...:thanks: (y) :)

Do you pics? Are those things you bought? What "look" are you wanting to accomplish? Natural? Themed? Rockscape? Planted? What's your stock? I'd like to offer my help (y)

Do you pics? Are those things you bought? What "look" are you wanting to accomplish? Natural? Themed? Rockscape? Planted? What's your stock? I'd like to offer my help (y)

Hello Convict,

I truly appreciate your initial response and intent to help! Indeed, I am aware that PICTURES of our current setup would help TREMENDOUSLY in this situation so you could get a sense of the layout; I will work on getting those up...

In the meantime, let me answer some of your questions: Yes, the items cited via those links to Petsmart and Petco are items we BOUGHT for the previous tank just before it cracked, and which we have transferred over to this new Marineland 60 gallon...all except for the links towards the bottom to the CASTLES (as this was a theme I was considering) and the ones that take you to the tank set up on Petsmart's website with the dragon, bridge, etc. as that was just to show what piqued our interest...

As for theme, we don't know what the best way to go is, that's why I was asking for input -- originally, I wanted NATURAL with (artificial) driftwood, rock caves, green plants, etc. and that is why we purchased that tree stump ornament. Then, my wife wanted to go with the ASIAN/ZEN theme for the goldfish, so that's why we purchased the little Asian gazebo you see in one of the links. The CASTLES is something I am now considering because they just look so cool to me and you don't really see them (done right) in tanks, and I imagined the two castle pieces with that bridge my wife bought yesterday between them, kind of "linking" them together...

My stock are four fancy goldfish of small and small-to-medium size variety.

Well I'll first say that its your tank so the most important thing is that you both like it so you can enjoy it. I like natural. If it were me I'd go with a nice piece of driftwood as my center piece. Of course don't but it right in the center. Off center is more like it. Nothing should be even or of equal size like rocks and plants. Fake plants are fine. Some nice rocks also.

I actually like this as an example.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Well I'll first say that its your tank so the most important thing is that you both like it so you can enjoy it. I like natural. If it were me I'd go with a nice piece of driftwood as my center piece. Of course don't but it right in the center. Off center is more like it. Nothing should be even or of equal size like rocks and plants. Fake plants are fine. Some nice rocks also.

I actually like this as an example.

Thank you for the clip -- indeed, that setup just "feels" warm and "put together" and is one of our goals; right now the tank is cold, empty and sterile...

Unfortunately, my wife doesn't really want to go with driftwood or the overtly "natural" theme; I still have the piece that looks like a large tree stump (like this, but not this exact one: Top Fin® Grey Tree Root Ornaments - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart), which I could move over out of the far left of the tank towards the middle, so it's "off-center" as you describe, but that leaves me with the little red Chinese gazebo ornament which I cited in one of the links (HERE is what it looks like: Petco Asian Gazebo Aquatic Décor at PETCO). Right now, it's off to the right side of the tank with taller plants behind it and a sort of "garden" from cut up plant mat pieces winding away from it towards the center of the tank (looks kinda cool actually); the fish enjoy swimming through this piece, so I don't know if we should ditch it...

The problem is, by going "all natural" just using the tree stump, let's say, I don't know if that "goes" with the gazebo off to the far right...:hide::hide:

I suppose I am going to HAVE to get some pics up so you can get a feel of what I'm talking about...:blink:

Thank you for the clip -- indeed, that setup just "feels" warm and "put together" and is one of our goals; right now the tank is cold, empty and sterile...

Unfortunately, my wife doesn't really want to go with driftwood or the overtly "natural" theme; I still have the piece that looks like a large tree stump (like this, but not this exact one: Top Fin® Grey Tree Root Ornaments - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart), which I could move over out of the far left of the tank towards the middle, so it's "off-center" as you describe, but that leaves me with the little red Chinese gazebo ornament which I cited in one of the links (HERE is what it looks like: Petco Asian Gazebo Aquatic Décor at PETCO). Right now, it's off to the right side of the tank with taller plants behind it and a sort of "garden" from cut up plant mat pieces winding away from it towards the center of the tank (looks kinda cool actually); the fish enjoy swimming through this piece, so I don't know if we should ditch it...

The problem is, by going "all natural" just using the tree stump, let's say, I don't know if that "goes" with the gazebo off to the far right...:hide::hide:

I suppose I am going to HAVE to get some pics up so you can get a feel of what I'm talking about...:blink:

Haha yeah pics would help me and I'm sure others when they chime in. You don't have to go all natural. Make it your own remember. Those are the best tanks. When there's a little of yourself in there. I'd really like to see pictures. I'm sure we can figure something out so the wife is happy.

But did you get a chance to glance at the links of the decor pieces I keep referring to, just to get a feel of what they look like?

But did you get a chance to glance at the links of the decor pieces I keep referring to, just to get a feel of what they look like?

Yes, the plants, tree root and gravel are all nice and will work. the ornaments I'm not crazy about, BUT like I said its your tank not mine. Just because its not my cup of tea doesn't mean by any means don't do it. You like it then thats what counts. I'm a perfectionist and I have bad OCD, those ornaments would make me coo coo lol!!

I still look at my tank and see things I could change, you know what they say, a true artist is NEVER happy!

Yes, the plants, tree root and gravel are all nice and will work. the ornaments I'm not crazy about, BUT like I said its your tank not mine. Just because its not my cup of tea doesn't mean by any means don't do it. You like it then thats what counts. I'm a perfectionist and I have bad OCD, those ornaments would make me coo coo lol!!

I still look at my tank and see things I could change, you know what they say, a true artist is NEVER happy!

Just out of curiosity, what would drive you [moderator edit] about the Asian gazebo? I assume that's the one you're talking about, as we don't have the castles in there at all, nor do we even own them yet...

As for the tree stump, do you think this would work pulled AWAY from the FAR left of the tank more...so, sort of "off center"? What would work on the other side, then? Just leave plants?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, Convict, THIS is the exact tree stump piece we have in the tank, NOT the "tree root" thing I cited:

tank.png

Just out of curiosity, what would drive you batshit about the Asian gazebo? I assume that's the one you're talking about, as we don't have the castles in there at all, nor do we even own them yet...

As for the tree stump, do you think this would work pulled AWAY from the FAR left of the tank more...so, sort of "off center"? What would work on the other side, then? Just leave plants?

Yeah the gazebo lol!! CRAZY!!!

yes I like the idea of the stump of center, how about on the other side some rocks, large to small and plants all around it? tall in the back and getting smaller as you get closer to the front? maybe a little cave made out of the rock then the plants?

Yeah the gazebo lol!! CRAZY!!!

But why? :cool:

yes I like the idea of the stump of center, how about on the other side some rocks, large to small and plants all around it? tall in the back and getting smaller as you get closer to the front? maybe a little cave made out of the rock then the plants?

Hmmm...what I was thinking of actually....

But that would negate the possibility of the "bridge" ornament going in the tank now, and going a bit "over" the "garden" coming from the gazebo...

Again -- PICS WILL SOLVE THIS and I'm working on it!!! :banghead: :blink: :hide:

Okay, so in further thinking about our aquascaping/theming dilemma, here is what I kind of came up with...

For now, we're scrapping the idea of going with a brand-new "castle" or "pirate shipwreck" theme (I personally have always loved the pirate ship setup, which we had in the last tank before it cracked) as well as the "all-natural" kind of look (my wife, for some reason that's beyond me, just HATES that natural, "bottom of a river" look which I find appealing on many tanks and the reason I bought the big tree trunk decoration to begin with), and instead we're going to be concentrating on an ASIAN/ZEN theme to pay tribute to the goldfish's roots...

Okay, so with that in mind, what I had proposed was to REMOVE the Petsmart tree stump piece altogether (this:
images
)

And move the three-arch bridge ornament we just purchased from the center of the tank, where it is now temporarily, to more OFF-CENTER towards the left of the tank (to kind of replace the tree stump) so it's the off-center focal point...the bridge looks like THIS:

images

Surrounding the bridge would be Bonsai plants and trees to give it a more Asian flair, such as:

images

And:

images
images

Then, I was thinking the little "Zen garden" my wife created, which snakes away from the Asian gazebo on the right side of the tank through the gravel and ends up in the center, could be added to and could wind underneath the bridge; she made the "garden" out of cut up pieces of THIS:

images

The bridge, off to the left/off-center side of the tank, could be placed on an angle, with the "garden" running through the center arch...

Then, I was thinking we would leave the little red Asian gazebo piece that's on the right side of the tank for now because the fish like going in and out of it, and it kind of fits the theme anyway, but just build a lot of plants up behind and around it; the gazebo looks like THIS:

images

Now -- my thought was not to go too overboard with decoration pieces even though my wife wanted to add a Buddha and maybe some kind of temple to match the Zen theme, so I was thinking just this gazebo off to the right and the bridge off to the left/off-center, and then building up the rest of the tank with red and green plants...MAYBE adding a small piece down the road in the middle/back like this:

images

Or, maybe this:

images

Overall, we are drawing inspiration from, and attempting to mimic some elements of, THIS tank that was staged for Petsmart's site:

images

You can see where they used the same bridge we have now off to the right, sort of in the corner (which I don't really care for; my design proposal has the bridge off to the left but kind of off-center from the middle) plus the dragon bubbler (which we're not getting) and the little temple piece in the middle. We are also using the same natural-colored substrate/pebble rock as pictured here; I am assuming they're also using a black background to bring this theme together...

I would like to get some opinions on what I was proposing for this aquascaping/theme layout for our fancy goldfish tank; please feel free to share any thoughts, insight, direction or anything that comes to mind! :thanks:

Not my cup of tea. I don't like all that decor and what not BUT... That's me and this is about YOU and your tank! I wouldn't do it for myself but that's me.

Ok... Got that put of the way :)

I like the theme because its all the same and works with all the pieces. Nothing is out of place you know what I mean? It all meshes together very well...

I think it would look very nice set up that way.

Not my cup of tea. I don't like all that decor and what not BUT... That's me and this is about YOU and your tank! I wouldn't do it for myself but that's me.

Ok... Got that put of the way :)

Yes, D, I KNOW how YOU feel about...well, especially the GAZEBO....:brows: :ermm: :lol:

I like the theme because its all the same and works with all the pieces. Nothing is out of place you know what I mean? It all meshes together very well...

I think it would look very nice set up that way.

So, you're saying you can imagine the bridge kind of off to the left side -- not dead-center, but the kind of "off-center focal point" we discussed with regard to the tree stump -- with the Bonsai plants around it and the "Japanese garden" kind of winding under it? As I stated, I don't really wanna go too overboard, at all, with decoration pieces, so that's why I said only the bridge and the gazebo (on opposite ends of the tank) and MAYBE another piece down the road that would go in the middle-back...otherwise, I envisioned doing the remainder space in the tank all plants.

Do you think this could work with the tree stump piece removed? We just didn't envision this layout working with the stump; it was like out of place for the Zen/Asian thing, you know?

As always, thank you VERY much for your input! (y)

Yes, D, I KNOW how YOU feel about...well, especially the GAZEBO....:brows: :ermm: :lol:

So, you're saying you can imagine the bridge kind of off to the left side -- not dead-center, but the kind of "off-center focal point" we discussed with regard to the tree stump -- with the Bonsai plants around it and the "Japanese garden" kind of winding under it? As I stated, I don't really wanna go too overboard, at all, with decoration pieces, so that's why I said only the bridge and the gazebo (on opposite ends of the tank) and MAYBE another piece down the road that would go in the middle-back...otherwise, I envisioned doing the remainder space in the tank all plants.

Do you think this could work with the tree stump piece removed? We just didn't envision this layout working with the stump; it was like out of place for the Zen/Asian thing, you know?

As always, thank you VERY much for your input! (y)

I think it will work and actually look ALOT better without that stump. It doesn't go with the theme your trying to accomplish. I like the idea of the whole Zen/Asian theme. What color substrate?

Also with the right schooling fish I think it will be a very peaceful tank to sit in front of and relax.

That and the right lighting of course ;)

I think it will work and actually look ALOT better without that stump. It doesn't go with the theme your trying to accomplish. I like the idea of the whole Zen/Asian theme.

Thank you; this at least puts my mind a bit more at ease with what we're doing here...:oops:

What color substrate?

The tank is already set up and fish are in it; what I would have to do is remove the tree stump as of right now. This was clipped from a previous post in this thread regarding the substrate:

We are also using the same natural-colored substrate/pebble rock as pictured here; I am assuming they're also using a black background to bring this theme together...

The substrate we're using is THIS:

images

Will this still work with the Asian/Zen thing? HERE is how this exact substrate looks on Petsmart's demo tank (with goldfish in there from what I can tell):

pPETS-6704003dt.jpg

Also with the right schooling fish I think it will be a very peaceful tank to sit in front of and relax.

We are keeping fancy goldfish, of which we have four already; are you suggesting to CHANGE the species?

That and the right lighting of course ;)

Well, yes, but you of all people on this site KNOW my dilemma with that...

We HAVE to find a way to retrofit my hoods and get some LEDs going under there...:hide::blink::banghead:

What about getting a bag of white sand and making a rock-lined "path" out of it? That could be like a garden path and around it a zen style garden in miniature? Perhaps starting the path in the back left corner and going diagonally to the front right corner. Do some tall, slim plants in the back combined with a statue or two. Then make the plants gradually decrease in size along the path. You could figure out a way to make a little pond and place the bridge over it.

Back
Top Bottom