Pond Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slayer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased a home with a pond in the back yard...Looking for suggestion on how to clean up the pond... There is alot of algae and leaf bulid-up at the bottom.....thank you for you suggestions...Dan

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum. Ponds are relatively easy to care for as long as you have it set up properly and perform a small amount of maintenance. I give my pond a spring clean up every year. This includes vaccuming all the leaves and crud off the bottom and removing what string algae I can, also cutting away all the dead plant material from the previous year. You can vaccum your pond by using a shop vac or by using the siphon method.In order to give you any more advise we need to know if the pond has a pump and filter system.

Thanks murphy,
I have about a 700 gallon pond in the back yard......I have a pump( that was there when I bought the home) with a sponge on the tip of the pump. It collects all the fish gunk and i have to clean that often. from the pump the water goes to a big bucket filled with lava rocks and spills out down some rocks like a water fountain. I hope that this isnt to confusing....thanks for your help....Dan

Hi Dan, first of all I would clean out those leaves and gunk from the bottom of your pond. Anything that is left in the pond will decompose, adding to your algea problem :( . Second, I would add some barley straw maybe in a stocking or something that would allow the water to flow through it. The barley straw emits an enzyme that will halt the growth of the algea. It wont eliminate it, but it wont get any worse. Third, I would try to improve the design of your filter. Do a search on do it yourself filter designs, and try to build the biggest one you can afford. You will be suprised how cheaply it can be done. Lastly, plants ,plants, and more plants. I think what we are all trying to achieve is a balanced eco system where fish and plant life can thrive. This is only my advise and I'm sure there are a lot of other opinions from knowledgable people out there. Keep it simple and most of all enjoy!!!

Slaya,

Murphy here has good advice, not knocking it.

However, I think the first thing you should do is go to your local bookstore or library and get some books about ponds. Helen Nash is a great expert on the subject and has written a couple good books. That will give you the basics you need to undestand how your pond ecology and plumbing and such works. Once you get the basics down, it's not that hard, and very enjoyable to have. Can't beat hanging out by the pond on the weekend or after ahard days work, it's agreat stress reliever.

1 more thing, get used to the fact that sometimes, you are going to have to get in the pond and do stuff, like spring cleaning. Ya might want to invest in a set of fisherman's waders, i use them regularly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom