Tadpoles...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

So, I don't think I've mentioned the tree frogs we have in my area. They have come to my pond a few times in the past couple years, always at night. These little suckers make a horrible racket. BRAAAAKK!!! Can't even sleep with windows open.

I think they are Gray Tree Frogs, from what I've been able to find out.

Anyway, this year they came in droves, making noise outside all night long for the past month, drive me nuts.

In addition to my pond, I have 3 barrel gardens, no fish, just lillies/lotus, and 1 just water (me being lazy again).

Today, I have a kid over mowing my lawn ( I have a broken rib, still outta action), he says "hey Mr. Paul, you got a lotta tadpoles in this barrel." Sure enough, hundreds of tadpoles in 2 of my barrels! Should be pretty interesting seeing what happens.

That's cool. About a week ago we had hundreds of tadpoles in our pond. I was just out there looking now we appear to have none. I guess the fish have been doing some pretty good dining for the last week.

In past years, that has been my exp too. The only tadpoles that survived were either bullfrog ones that I caught elsewhere (too big to eat), or some leopard frog tadpoles that somehow got into my filter box where there were no fish to eat them.

I don't even know what tadpoles eat, guess I'll put a little fish food in, see if they munch that.

Well, I went out there on a break this morning (work from home 2 days a week). I noticed that in the barells with tadpoles, no mosquito larvae! they must be a bit predatory too, cool!

I usually use Mosquito dunks in my barels, but forgot so far this year.

corvuscorax,

Cichlids work for me. They'll make short work of them. Problem is cichlid are not cold hardy so they have to come in evey year when the temps get below 65 degree F.

para

Back
Top Bottom