White spots on oranda wen, but not ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miss_Arils

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all!

Just looking for some advice. I bought my 2 orandas on Saturday. Yesterday I noticed the red cap oranda had a little white space which had a string-like particle hanging off it. Today there are two white spots but it is not ich and is only on the wen. It looks quite fluffy, not hard like ich. He swims around as normal.

How do you differentiate a fungal infection from a wen growth spurt?

I've included a pic. I hope you can see as he was moving around a lot. Haha

I don't see a picture. But it sounds to me like fungus. But would need to see a picture. How long have you had him quarantined before you put them in your tank? Is your tank cycled?

Normal wen growth and nothing to worry about! Theory has it that wen goldfish actually develop a very low grade infection during wen growth spurts. You will see white spots/pimples on the wen and commonly there is a string or fuzz from the spot. It may come and go. No treatment other than very pristine water (zero ammonia, zero nitrite, less than 10ppm nitrate though under 5ppm is better) and a very nutritious diet that includes good sources of protein and veggies daily. Welcome to AA!! :)

Back
Top Bottom