ADF missing foot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

killrmuffin1028

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,

My African Dwarf Frog is missing a foot.
I had ordered one because they weren't coming in the truck orders at my fish stores. Two weeks went by and they had never called me to let me know he came in. So I called in and they said they had ONE left and they could hold him if I picked him up that night. Of course I did.
But when I got there and they gave me the bag, he was missing a foot. And I just loved him even more. He was special. I'm assuming that he got beat up by a more aggressive fish in his tank at the pet store. He's fine, and it's been a couple months I think. He does have trouble swimming though. He's in with three guppies right now, but I'm getting ready to move him to his own tank.

So my question is, should he be completely solitary, or should I get him a companion? I know they do well with each other but I don't want to see him get underfed because he can't compete as well for food. I'm not sure if ADFs do compete for food or not but I don't want to take chances, so I need advice.

Thank you!
Mackenzie

If you have an adf only tank he will appreciate some more froggies. I have 5 and they come out onto the sand at feeding time. They do take their time eating but in my tank there only competition for sinking food is corys which are a bit lazy too. Make sure the tank isn't too tall if he not the best swimmer. They only tend to swim to the surface for air. They spend most of the time hiding under wood or large plant leafs. Saying that he should be fine in the community tank as long as no aggressive fish. He would still feel more secure in a group of 4-5. You can use a pipette or tweezers to direct food to him if you feel he isn't getting enough. Tbh mine are greedy and push the corys out the way

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you! I'll be sure to get him a couple friends! The tank he is in right now he is being housed with guppies. But the tank is too tall. Do you know where I can find more shallow tanks?

How tall is it? Mine is but 20inch tall and mine find it not a problem. And one of those had an injured front leg (must have got it stuck somewhere but she doesn't use it), so it might not be too tall. As long as he can reach the surface easily. If not most pet shops and even amazon sell small tanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a cylindrical 2.5 gallon tank. It's 14 inches. He doesn't have too much trouble. But I figured I would just give him a shallow tank so he has more surface area to move. I also have plastic plants in there and he needs silk plants. And I wanted to get him a plate to eat from and it won't fit in the current tank. So I just figured it would be easiest.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom