african dwarf frog (Possible redleg?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monlov

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
after we brought home two new frogs we noticed that they had pink undersides. after closer inspection one was pink and the other looked like it had internal bleeding. The girl who got the frogs out of the tank at the store was very violent and seemingly careless about the frogs. instead of grabbing the the ones out in the open, she nocked everything over swatting the net all over the place. I think she might have hit or squished the one. we dont have a quarantine tank so we had them in a tupperware container. The one who looked like he had internal bleeding died this morning but the other one looks fine besides the pink underside, and he/she ate today. do you think its ok to put the frog in the tank or should we wait it out another day or so and see if the pink bottom gets worse?

She actually used a net to catch them??? Geeshe...I always do it by hand...

I think you should take the frog back to the store. It's possible the frog is in the first stages of redleg. They should not have any reddish/pinkish bellies. You can attempt to treat it with Terramyacin eye ointment for dogs and cats (it's a safe skin antibiotic for amphibians). However, redleg is almost always fatal and is highly contagious to other amphibians. Not worth dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom