I poped my frog's eye out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
i was cleaning my ACF (African Clawed Frog) tank with my python and she decided to swim under it. it sucked her up right around the back. giving her a very large hickey (she is over 7" long and it sucked her right in the middle of the back. when i saw this i quickly turned off and reversed the water pressure to set her free. she swam away to the other end of the tank, so i thought it was ok to resume the water change.

it was not, not even 10 seconds after turning back on the suction she swam back over and got sucked up head first!. again i freaked rand over and turned off and reversed the water. she again got out and this time swam around like a mad woman running into the walls and everything.

when i was able to get a good look at her her right eye was missing and bleeding. it looks like her eye must have stuck up the hole at the other end of the python gravel vac and experienced the entire suction!.

i called a couple LFS they both said Melifix and Primafix, but i am not convinced those are safe for amphibians :?

i also called up some exotic pet vets. they did not know what to do, but are going to call me back after they do some "research" this was yesterday afternoon at 3:00 pm it is now about 7 am the next day and have not heard anything from them! :(

her and her "mate" are my beloved classroom pets so i feel really bad. i brought her home from school so i can keep an eye on her (no pun intended). i am keeping her water extra clean, not feeding her (believe me she has fat reserves) and not heater. i am hoping to take advantage of her cold-blooded metabolism to slow down infection.

is there anything else i should be doing? she had a open wound before, from when she escaped over night and scooted across the floor, and the above is how i treated her then. i was recommended a amphibian safe anti-biotic at the time but was never able to track it down.

here is a picture...

Aww! I don't know the first thing about ACF's but I'd think that doing nothing would be the reccomended action. Keep the water really clean and let it heal on it's own.

When my turtle got injured, that's what I did, and she is fine now. They can heal up rather quickly if left alone. I'd keep her with you though, seperated from anything else until she looks better.

I could be wrong though. I hope she pulls through okay!

I agree with DT. I have an ACF and feel your pain. I would do extra water changes and keep an eye on it. Poor girl.

yea i have her in a clean rubber maid bin with just enough water to keep her wet, she is in a quiet corner to just relax, i will be doing a couple 100% water changes every day to keep her clean.

Zagz said "keep an eye on it"! Funny. It will probably heal on its own. Water changes will keep it clean. I am always surprised by my pets ability to come back from injuries I thought would be life ending.

Back
Top Bottom