Red eared sliders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewet88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sorry if this isn't the correct spot for my question.

I have 2 red eared sliders in a 100 gallon tank. I think 1 of them (Caesar) is retaining scutes so I've been giving him a blueberry every day. This same turtle seems to be getting algae on his shell but I think it's because he hasn't been shedding. He gets the same diet as my other turtle but she seems to be shedding fine. He basks just as long if not longer than her, there's plenty of cuttle bone in the tank for both of them, plus plenty of anacharis that I grow for them in my 20gal guppy tank.

Is it normal for only 1 turtle to retain scutes while another turtle in basically the same exact environment can be perfectly fine?
How many blueberries should I give him daily?
Is there anything else I can do to help?

Thanks in advance,
Drew

I wouldn't worry about it as long as they aren't soft or conning off. My turtle doesn't hardly peel at all. I do soak food into a bird vitamin once every couple weeks to feed. I've never used blueberries. Does it seem to have any growth problems?

No I've owned them for the last 7-8 years and he's grown no problem. The blueberries seem to help I can see some of his scutes starting to peel. I think I should upgrade their light because its been over 6 months.

EDIT: my light fixture holds 2 3ft. Long florescent tubes I currently have 1 reptoglo light in there and 1 normal power glo light. Should I change the power glo to something different?
There's also a plexiglass cover over the lights to keep water from splashing the bulbs, should I leave that off or will the uv rays be able to pass through.

Back
Top Bottom