Shell rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SadSoyBeans

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i pretty much rescued a red eared slider, the previous owner didn't really take care of the turtle... at all. Not a single water change, no variation in diet, no uv light, uncondtioned water, didn't clean it once... now a small parts of the shell are damaged i think, shell rot I assume. View attachment 302928 View attachment 302929
To treat it I was going to use api's "Turtle Fix". I read that it could be caused by algea and there is a bit on her so it could be that maybe?

If you guys can help recommend medication for the turtle other than that or a different solution to the problem that would be helpful.

Broken attachments. I would start with making sure he has cuttlebone. Zucchini and broccoli are higher-calcium veggies that he would probably like as well, and that's what he needs to help his shell. Otherwise, it's been years since I took care of a turtle so I will let someone else help out.

Broken attachments. I would start with making sure he has cuttlebone. Zucchini and broccoli are higher-calcium veggies that he would probably like as well, and that's what he needs to help his shell. Otherwise, it's been years since I took care of a turtle so I will let someone else help out.
Sorry about that link, i was going to go get cuttlebone maybe today, i scrubbed the affected area with a soft tooth brush and removed a lot of the gunk in the rotted portions, i was also going to get some providone-iodine or betadine to disinfect the areas and medicate the tank with the turtle fix, i think that will fix it

give her all the cuttle bone she will eat. I'm sure shes going to go through it fast.

make sure its real cuttle bone not the junk there manufactureing and putting the name cuttlebone on it.

has to be 100% natural.

Also get some smelts frozen cut them in 3 pcs head on is best. That way the turtle will be eating the fish with bone.

This also will provide calcium that this turtle needs desperately.

DO NOT FEED GOLDFISH. GOLD FISH ARE POISONOUS TO TURTLES!

give her all the cuttle bone she will eat. I'm sure shes going to go through it fast.

make sure its real cuttle bone not the junk there manufactureing and putting the name cuttlebone on it.

has to be 100% natural.

Also get some smelts frozen cut them in 3 pcs head on is best. That way the turtle will be eating the fish with bone.

This also will provide calcium that this turtle needs desperately.

DO NOT FEED GOLDFISH. GOLD FISH ARE POISONOUS TO TURTLES!
Thanks, i got the cuttlebone yesterday, she seems to like it, and i got a better basking light and uvb and she hangs out of the water more often now.

Back
Top Bottom