10g QT water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
is about a gallon per day water change enough to keep up with a 10g QT tank with a very small clown goby and small clown fish? will cupramine kill bio filter media. i have had some phosphate pad in my main for a couple of weeks. could i use that as a bio filter media? will it remove the cupramine? i also have a small HOB filter but the sponge is very new

thanks
steve r

I can't help but wondering if you need to change water every day. Ammonia or nitrate problems? Otherwise, I'd try to find the source of your phosphates and fix that. Overfeeding or tap water may be leading candidates.

Also, if you put cupramine in that tank, you wipe out your snails, shrimp, and crabs I believe.

sorry , maybe i wasnt clear. theses questions are for a 10gallon QT tank i have setup. not for my main. the water changes will be to keep up with ammonia in the QT. the phosphate sponge is something i ran in my main when i had a tiny cyano outbreak from feeding a little extra when i added a new fish that would not eat. i dont use tap water.

steve r

Your ammonia level will dictate how much water to change. You could try a gallon a day and see how that works. You may have to do a bit more for at least the first week like 2-3 gallons.
Cupramine will kill off much of the bacteria, so yes daily water changes are needed.
As for the sponge media, I wouldn't worry about it for the reasons stated above. I would definately not add the PO4 sponge. Just leave the stock sponge and pull out the carbon if there is carbon in the filter.

thanks. i did pull the carbon. so after the the 2-3 weeks of cupramine i can run carbon to remove the cupramine. the tank will establish some sort of bio filtration. until then i guess its water change city!

steve r

You were very clear after I looked again.
enough to keep up with a 10g QT tank
That's as clear as it gets. :oops:

When I saw it was you, I think I reacted like that wondering if someone else was using your ID. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom