2 more questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgross15656

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1. Is there a suggested height for my return nozzle? After figuring out that it can syphon back, I would like to keep it as close to the water surface as possible. I have the very top of it just on top of the water, is this ok?

2. When talking about LR weight, does live sand weight also count toward that number? (ex: If I want 100 lbs in my 75 gallon, does it need to be 100 lbs of LR in addition to my substrate?) If I add more live rock as i purchase it ( say no more than 10 lbs at a time) will this amount cause any spikes?

Attachments

• DSCF4106.jpg
    DSCF4106.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 69
There's a simple way to prevent siphon back on your return pump. Drill a hole in the nozzle below the water level. This way, when/if it siphons back, once the hole becomes exposed to the air, it will break the siphon. Still a good idea to keep it very near the water surface, however.

LR weight does not include the substrate weight, theyre 2 seperate items.

If you do want to add live rock over time, the only trick is making sure it's cured. If it isn't cured, the dieoff from shpment or whatever can cause ammonia spikes. Allowing it to cure before you put it in will ensure this isn't an issue.

do you mean for the hole to be in the black nozzle or further back on the pvc pipe? How big of a hole?

also, doesn't that rob the nozzle of velocity? I only have 1 return nozzle on my 75.

I have mine pretty close to the top so as to have plenty of surface aggitation. Good way to aerate the tank. I dont add the sand weight to my LR number.

Back
Top Bottom