20 gallon tall start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok guys, if i can't have another 75g as a SW tank i am gonna turn my 20g into a SW. I was just curious what kind of fish i could keep in here? I also want to know what you guys would suggest for equipment (especially lights)? I want to grow coral, including sps/hard corals. So please help me out.

I don't have corals, but the light I have, I got off ebay for $125 shipped. It's an oceanic(off brand), but it has General Electric ballasts, lampholders, and starters, and coralife bulbs. Off brand name with name brand guts. I'm sure for you it would be cheaper, but it works great.

For lighting, go with a 4x24 T5 HO setup, the Sundial from Current USA would work perfectly, even has lunar lights. For powerheads, either two Koralia Nanos or two Koralia 1's. I have the same tank with Koralia 1's and get plenty of flow. You don't need a skimmer as a weekly pwc will accomplish the same thing. For salt, I would just start with Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals. You can grab a refractometer off of Ebay for about $30 including shipping. I would go with the API Reef and Saltwater Master Test Kits. Just go with dry aragonite, I used 30lbs and have about a 2" deep sandbed. Just do a mix of live rock and base rock, half and half would work great. Get 2 50w heater just in case one fails. Thermometer of course.

As for fish, just go through the list that Krypt posted, most of the fish in there are compatible with each other, just post up a list here to double check it though. I would get maybe 3-5 astrea snails and 5-8 nassarius snails for a CUC. HTH.

Alright, i will come up with a list of fish in a little bit. I just got offered by a friend 2 clarkii clowns (my favirote clowns) for FREE. Do you think i could fit these in there somewhere?

I know, i just like them so much. lol. I can't seem to find them in my area. Any shrimp gobies good for a 20g tall?

Yup, liveaquaria used to have a section where you could buy them paired with shrimp, can't find it anymore. I wouldn't get the shrimp, but that's mainly because I have just never liked pistol shrimp or the idea of them causing a rock slide.

Ok, well then my last question for now is how many fish do you think i could put in the tank? How much coral? And do you know of any other fish that could go into the tank, i am sure that small selection of fish cant be it.

There are more fish than just what is in that nano selection, but those are good for beginners. The amount of coral you get is up to you as it adds nothing to your bioload, so if it fits, it stays, but just be sure to research the temperments of each coral since some such as the frogspawn, hammer, and torch will sting other surrounding coral. As for fish I would say no more than 5 small ones, best off with 2 or 3 to start and if everything is stable you can add one or two more.

this thread is amazing because just last night I was think to myself, i would love to make my 20 gallon into SW. Thanks for creating this.

Ok, i think i have a start of a stocking list so correct me if i am wrong. A mandarin goby, some sort of shrimp goby or other goby, and either 2 clown fish or a clown fish and some other fish i cant think of any ideas? Can't decide, does this sound good or too many? Also how many inverts can i fit in this tank (shrimp and stuff)?

Scratch mandarin idea, they have a nasty feeding habit and tend to starve in small tanks unless trained to eat prepared foods which is a pain to do. Maybe a yellow watchman goby, 2 clowns, and a firefish. Could look at a clown goby or jawfish too. I would go with one cleaner or peppermint shrimp, 3-5 astrea snails, and 5-8 nassarius snails.

O ya, clown gobys. I will probably end up doing 1 of them. The only thing i hat about this is that i like going to the store (i have a LFS i trust fully, the only 1 i do) and doing a impule buy, in other words going to the store and going holy cow i like that fish and get it (after asking if it is compatible). It being a nano hinders that. And you can scratch the fire fish, i am not a fan of them and i would like to try a diffrent fish to take its place.

I would do that but dosent it need a little larger of a tank?

They almost get 3", and your typical ocellaris clowns get roughly about the same size, so it should be fine as long as you keep just one. Either that, or you could go with a goby, a clown, and three PJ cardinals.

Do PJ cardinals stay smaller, because i like banggai cardinals better.

Ok, i think i am either going 2 clowns, 1 benggai cardinals, 1 clown goby or watchman goby. It is gonna involve the goby (either clown or watchman), clown fish, banggai cardinal, and a firefish.

Back
Top Bottom