a few quick questions before i set up my 75 gl tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
First off is lighting.... can you use pc's to grow coral or do you need MH's? Also if you do need MH's would it be possible to buy add them on later cuz i saw some DIY kits.
Second is what is a better skimmer, on for the sump or one that hangs over the tank.
Third is about the sand from HD thread.... does that work, does it need washed out and cycled, and does it compare to caribsea or regular aragonite?
fourth is when i get my tank set up and is going through its cycle when is the best time to add live rock? im not adding lighting til i get the money to in about a month so i was wondering if it would be alright to have base rock in there and just have a small amount of live rock until i get my lights then add more.

also which are the best community fish to clean the tank? And i hear all these bad things about crabs... which ones are the ones to look out for? And another question to go with the lighting does anemones and other inverts be fine with just pc's or do u need MH's for them too?

Wow...you just asked a whole lot of questions there. It is very easy to get "information overload" when starting a new tank. The important thing to keep in mind is to relax and take it slow. Do you have any good books on SW tanks? If not, that should be your next purchase. I like "The Comscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. I will adress your lighting questions. If you plan to have a reef tank in the future then you will something other then NO Flourescent lighitng. CF or MH are the most populr lighting upgrade. For most things CF lighting will work just fine. You can keep most soft corals and LPS coral with 3-5 watts/gal. of CF lighting. If you plan to keep clams, anenomes, or SPS corals then MH lighting is prefered. 5-8watts/ga. should be okay. MH is a more intense light that penetrates the water better then CF.

Back
Top Bottom