AC110 Refug Mod w/o impeller mod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billberet

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey, so i was putting together my 110 refug when it hit me, why cut the impeller when all i have to do is trim the base plate that the intake tube rests on, where you control the flow already, it just needs to be able to move in the negative direction more.

ok so here is the base plate with the side of the wall removed so you can move the intake pipe over further to reduce flow
60421-albums10183-picture42143.jpg

i used the origional media basket like everyone else does. except i did NOT silicone the first baffle. this baffle will become secure when i insert the sponge in the first compartment. and if i have to service the motor or impeller, i can without destroying my work.
60421-albums10183-picture42142.jpg

i then siliconed the bottom of the media basket to filter the return so the cheato does not fall out.
60421-albums10183-picture42141.jpg

one other piece i added here is a square of plexi from the corner of the frame to the second baffle. this will force the water up and thru the sponge without taking the path of least resistance of up and out.
60421-albums10183-picture42140.jpg

one last trim i did is where the intake pipe comes into the AC110, in order to move the pipe to a more negative direction i had to trim the wall of the AC110 on the left side, i took off about a quarter of an inch. just enough to slide the intake hose over. if you don't do this you will hit the wall and not be able to slide your pipe over far enough. after silicone is dry i will add water and sponge and heater then add more pics with the results.

wow works great, it can go from 0 flow to 100% flow
i added the heater, sponge, chemi-pure.

soon i'll add some coral frags and live sand as a base for the cheato in the last compartment.
60421-albums10183-picture42158.jpg

Great idea using the 110, never seen it done before.
What size tank will it be going on, and interested on how it all goes.

(y)

works great, i can adjust the flow accordingly. it's on my 20 gal.
i have a full ball of chaeto in there with a light, working GREAT!

60421-albums10168-picture42544.jpg

you can see it hanging in the back
60421-albums10168-picture42413.jpg

Cool, that looks alright.
Going to have to brush up on my conversions from gallons to litres, lol.

Back
Top Bottom