Adding LR mid-cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nugrad2005

Aquarium Advice Activist
Lets play the "pretend we didn't do anything wrong game" again and not comment about fish during the cycling process.

The tank is mid-cycle right now with the numbers starting to rise and have yet to peak. If we added live rock at this point what would happen. My feeling is it would hurry along the cycling process.

Any ideas?

-Dan

It would depend on the LR. If the rock was fully cured, then it would certainly speed things up as you would be adding a bacteria culture. This doesn't mean rock from an online dealer that is advertised as "fully cured". You should use rock that has been in an established tank for a while. You may lose some of the organisms on the rock due to the ammonia/nitrite levels.

Lets play the "pretend we didn't do anything wrong game" again and not comment about fish during the cycling process.

Sounds like you're feeling guilty... :lol:

I agree with Logan on this...I added rock to my tank during and after the cycle, but it was from an established tank for at least a couple of weeks..As long as it is cured, you can add it anytime and all it should do is add to the bio-diversity... :mrgreen:

IMO Logan and Timbo2 are correct. I started my entire cycle with Cured LR from my LFS, and my eel. i had to pay close attention to amonia and nitrite levels and with the frequent water changes (every three days) i say my cycle process took a lot longer than expected. But i was more concerned with the health of the eel than with the amount of time it took to cycle the tank. If you add established biomatter now your tank should cycle nicely.
And if your wondering why i used the eel to cycle the tank, it is because the owner of the LFS told me that i should :evil: I didnt know any better at the time, and i was soooo exited about setting up my first tank i did what h said without doing enough research.

i was soooo exited about setting up my first tank i did what h said without doing enough research.

Thats completely unheard of in this buisness....or something like that.

Anywho,

What would happen if i added uncured rock to the tank?

-Dan

Your levels of Ammonia will rise very high.. This of course will be followed by Nitrite. May also lengthen you rcycle by a few more weeks..

That might not be the end of the world. So are you saying it would rise higher than it would without the rock?

hmmm.....interesting.

THanks

-Dan

OK, I let it go the first time it was said, I can't anymore. The tank is mid cycle and you still have fish in the tank?? I won't chastize you, but I will recommend you remove those fish. Let's add it up...

koran angel, pakistani bufferfly, clowns, damsels, and shrimps?

Koran Angel 30-40
Pakastani butterfly 30-40
clowns (2) 40
damsels (2) 10
shrimps (?) 20

You have 120-140 dollars invested in fish right now. If you don't remove the fish...you are liable to be throwing that money down the drain.

and to add to that statement ....you will be very hard pressed to find "fully cured" liverock for the tank. Any less than fully cured will only add time to your cycling process and toxicity to the tank, as was previously mentioned.

Quote:
i was soooo exited about setting up my first tank i did what h said without doing enough research.

Thats completely unheard of in this buisness....or something like that.

That was a pretty harsh comment, especially seeing as it looks like you suffer from the same malady.

I know this is the internet, but you didn't pick out any sarcasm in that statement? I was making fun of myself, i thought people would be able to, on some level, appreciate that.

-Dan

That is what we have the cute little smilies for...to indicate sarcasm when it is warranted. As you pointed out, there is little way to tell tone on the internet ..except for the tools available such as smilies

And i have to admit the amount of smiles available on this server are numerous. And i suppose i should have put a little devil in there. If anyone was offended by what i said: sorry, nothing was meant by it. I think that the desire to stock your tank the day you have it set up is the hobbies worst enemy and its tough to overcome. I just ask that the more experienced reefers and fish tank keepers remember that first timers(especially to salt water) have so much to learn and there is little advertisement for boards like this. Learning the proper way to do things unforuntately usually happens after the damage has been done (or is about to be). There is a learning curve when people learn to do anything and this hobby is no different. With time comes knowledge and with knowledge comes the ability to do things correct the first time.

-Dan

nugrad2005 said:
I know this is the internet, but you didn't pick out any sarcasm in that statement? I was making fun of myself, i thought people would be able to, on some level, appreciate that.

-Dan

I thought that was what you meant, but it was a little unclear. I certainly understand where your coming from, one of the reasons for so many negative attitudes towards LFS stems from the very situation your in. Thankfully for you, you have found a site where there are experienced aquarists willing to help and offer advice and have no interest in taking your money.

You are right. And believe me, it is not only the inexperienced saltwater person that has to suffer through the waiting. I am a VERY impatient person and it half kills me :)

Unfortunately, as we have found here, alot of people new to the hobby trust their LFS guy to the point of disaster. (not saying that all are bad mind you), but more often than not, people do not look for sites like this until the error has been made and then quite often, feel betrayed by the information given them to begin with. I found, in my personal experience, that boards like this are a LFS owners nightmare.

You are correct with this statement

that boards like this are a LFS owners nightmare.

I tried to post one of the flyers there, they tore it down and said they gave false information and were bad for the hobby. I dont like them anymore

LFS killed off half my roommates cichlids because they told him that cichlids like three bags of instants ocean in a 55g. :evil:

-dan

A bag is made for 50 gallons right? That is like giving him a salinity of like 1.1 or something insane i bet.

I picked up on your sarcasm, however sarcasm is hard to convey in text. So I understand not everyone picking up on it.

However, nugrad2005, you need to remove those fish. There is simply nothing you can do to save them short of removing them. When your ammonia spikes I am sure they will all be goners, with the exception possibly of the damsels and clowns. Not only is killing them that way cruel but it is also a big waste of your hard earned money.

Like i said, i used my eel while i cycled my tank and i had to make 10 and 20% water changes every couple of days to keep the amonia incheck. Then i had to do 20% water changes everyday for about a week when the nitrite spiked. i was lucky and bruce is fine. :mrgreen: But it cost me a lot in salts and nights of no sleep. Your best bet is to get all of your fish out of there until your tank finishes its cycle. The LFS was afraid that they were gonna lose the sale of the eel if they had to wait until my new tank cycled $500.00. (thats the only reason i can see to tell me to use him to cycle the tank). And like i said, i took their word as Gospell, found out ater it was too late that i was risking his life. Never again. Now when i get advice, i post it as a question on boards like this one and get the opinion of my peers, people that are in this hobbie for the love of the animals, not to make a buck.

Just so you know I did the same thing with my first tank. Jump in feet first that is.
So much so that I am going to start all over on it in awhile.

Back
Top Bottom