Algae problem please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I finished cycling my tank about a month ago and stocked my tank with my corals 3 weeks ago, and I stocked my tank with my first fish a week ago. Sense I got my corals the algae hasn't gotten insane, I got a turbo shrimp and an emerald crab to try and control the problem but that isn't helping. I'm not sure if they don't eat this type of algae or if it is propagating faster then they can eat it. One of my corals isn't opening, I think it might be because of the lower alkalinity. Is the coral dead and causing my tank to go all out of wack? Or does algae growth get effected by alkalinity? I usually have my light on anywhere from 10-14 hours a day. I don't have a timer on my light so it depends on when I remember. Any help would be great. My parameters are:
Ph: 8.2
Alk: 120
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-20
Gravity: 1.025

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455667957.422475.jpg forgot a picture and my tank is 20 g

not really seeing any out of control algae growth going on.
See what could be diatoms on the sand/glass, but that is 100% normal the first few months of a new set-up. See a little green cyano, but again not out of control.
Can you test for phosphate?
Cut back on how long the lights are on as well as feeding and see if that helps.

When the last time you did a water change?

Toadstool corals are finicky and will close up at times for days.Your light schedule could be the problem if you are running your lights full on for 10 to 14 hours a day.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

not really seeing any out of control algae growth going on.
See what could be diatoms on the sand/glass, but that is 100% normal the first few months of a new set-up. See a little green cyano, but again not out of control.
Can you test for phosphate?
Cut back on how long the lights are on as well as feeding and see if that helps.

When the last time you did a water change?

I'll try and get a better picture but there is algae growing on all the live rock, I'm mostly consented about how rapidly the algae is growing. I'll try and take a better picture

I'll try and get a better picture but there is algae growing on all the live rock, I'm mostly consented about how rapidly the algae is growing. I'll try and take a better picture

I also can't test for phosphate

it still isn't that bad at all.
the stuff on the sand, does it look more like brown/gold dust? if so then they are diatoms, harmless and will go away on their own. you will only drive yourself crazy if you begin messing around to get rid of diatoms. They feed on silica which is in higher concentrations in new set-ups. as the silica gets used up, the diatoms will die off. Usually takes anywhere from 2-6 months total, but can re-bloom if new sand/source of silica is added.

it does look like there is a few spots of brown cyano, the slimy looking stuff with bubbles in it.
from the amount of algae actually there, simply cutting back on the lighting and maybe feeding should help.

You are a long way from having a nuisance algae problem, trust me.

Remember, algae isn't a necessarily bad thing, it WILL grow no matter what, the trick is controlling how much and where it grows.

If you begin mucking around a lot to try and "fix" the algae, that is asking for more problems.
reduce lighting and food is the first step.

if it is really bothering you, take a toothbrush to the rock and gravel vac the sand.

it still isn't that bad at all.
the stuff on the sand, does it look more like brown/gold dust? if so then they are diatoms, harmless and will go away on their own. you will only drive yourself crazy if you begin messing around to get rid of diatoms. They feed on silica which is in higher concentrations in new set-ups. as the silica gets used up, the diatoms will die off. Usually takes anywhere from 2-6 months total, but can re-bloom if new sand/source of silica is added.

it does look like there is a few spots of brown cyano, the slimy looking stuff with bubbles in it.
from the amount of algae actually there, simply cutting back on the lighting and maybe feeding should help.

You are a long way from having a nuisance algae problem, trust me.

Remember, algae isn't a necessarily bad thing, it WILL grow no matter what, the trick is controlling how much and where it grows.

If you begin mucking around a lot to try and "fix" the algae, that is asking for more problems.
reduce lighting and food is the first step.

if it is really bothering you, take a toothbrush to the rock and gravel vac the sand.

Ok thanks, I'm still pretty sure it's algae because bubbles are coming off it all over but it is a greenish yellow. I'll try and cut back on lighting and feeding. Thanks for the help

When my tank was going through the motions I would of loved to just have a little like you have my sand was plastered it will eventually just vanish as long as you keep nitrates and phosphate in check as well as good flow :)

Ok so I've done a bit more research and I think I have an id for the algae in my tank. It's either dinoflagellates or calothrix. Nothing has died from the algae which leads me to believe it is not dinoflagellates. I have an emerald crab and turbo snail both of which aren't making a noticeable difference. I've lowered my lighting schedule to 8 hours a day. I'm feeding 1-2 times a day.(I'm trying to cut back) and the nitrates and nitrites are both low. Anyone have knew ideas on how to fix it?

Just keep up regular waterchanges to keep levils in check and your system is still new a lot of algae blooms ect will happen.

I know it's horrible to look at but everyone has been there at some point but patience is key :)

Back
Top Bottom