Ammonia levels during cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What levels of ammonia should I be looking for during the first part of cycling in my tank? I have 125 Fish only with some live rock. I would like to know what levels are acceptable and when I should take action to save my fish? A time frame would also be nice although I know if can be 3 to 6 six weeks for total cycling. I would also like to know at what levels of Nitrite and Nitrate are acceptable during the cycling period.

I have as filtering right now (2) TetraTec 500 power filters. Any other information needed I will be happy to post if you need it. Thanks in advance for you help.

Mike

I would like to know if anyone can tell me what an acceptable ammonia level should be for a tank during cycling? At what point should I take action to save the fish? Also, what are the acceptable levels of Nitrite and Nitrate during the cycling period? I have been into the cycling period for one week now and the ammonia levels have risen slightly from but are still in the "safe" zone as of now. I would just like to know when I should take action if the levels rise too high.

I have a 125 gallon tank that is fish only with some live rock. Filtering is Tetra-Tec 500 power filters, quantity 2. Any other information I can supply, just tell me and I will post.

Thanks in advance for any and all who respond.

Mike

What fish do you have and how many?

Any ammonia or nitrite levels are potentially deadly for your animals and one reason cycling with fish is not advised nor needed. You should monitor the NH3 and NO2 daily for high levels. 0.25+ NH3 or NO2 and I would suggest doing water changes to keep the levels lower. I would also suggest keeping an eye on the alk/ph as well. It will have a habit of falling or becoming eradic during the process. Once ammonia first forms it will take anywhere from 7-10 days to subside. Nitrites can typically take several weeks. Once nitrates form, they can jump as high as 80 ppm +. Fish can more readily withstand the effects of NO3 but I would still suggest water changes for anything above 30-40 ppm.

I would also highly recommend reading this article... How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, I must have accidently posted this twice, so if you see another post about this same thing I am sorry. I have 4 damsel fish in the tank now.

I have merged them for you. In all honesty I would return the damsels and continue the cycle using the artcile I've linked to. The use of fish for cycling is not needed and there is a good chance they will not survive....

Cheers
Steve

I'm curious about the orginal question of how high how long for amonia levels. I started my tank with shrimp 3 weeks ago and the amonia levels are still off the chart. there are no fish, only some LR so it's not a concern for the health of the occupants I just would like to see some progress. If it matters it's a 40 gallon, SG of 1.025, temp of 80

My ammonia readings grew for 17 days they were off the scale( Seachem kit and the tabs were dark purple!) for about five of those days. Today, two days since my last test and two separate test kits read almost 0. I bought the second kit to verify the results of the first kit. They are different brands. The Nitrite is also falling, and nitrate is up a bit. PH seems to be rising as well? This seems weird to me. not much but from about 8.1 to 8.2.
So I guess the long answer is it may go off the scale.

HTH

Mike

First of all, thanks Steve for merging the posts for me. I will be a bit more careful next time. I am familiar with these VB Boards.

Second, I can not return the fish to the place I bought them. I purchased them on Sunday, and on Monday the placed burned down. They lost pretty much all of the fish I was told even the "prize" specimens in their huge tank were lost. Fortunately they were able to save the puppies and birds and stuff.

My ammonia readings grew for 17 days they were off the scale

Did you also have fish in the tank?

Would water changes to bring down the ammonia level be a good idea when it reaches .25 ppm? Right now I am very close to that reading and my fish are showing no signs of stress. They are going about their business as the day I put them in.

What should I be looking for in the reaction of the fish to tell me that something may be wrong. I do not want to kill them, I would rather change the water at times to keep the ammonia levels down. This I suppose would also make the "cycle" time a little longer too?

Thanks for your responses. You people are great here. I have learned more here than any other place on the internet.

Sparky said:
First of all, thanks Steve for merging the posts for me.
No worries, it just makes it a little easier to follow :wink:

Second, I can not return the fish to the place I bought them. I purchased them on Sunday, and on Monday the placed burned down. They lost pretty much all of the fish I was told even the "prize" specimens in their huge tank were lost. Fortunately they were able to save the puppies and birds and stuff.
8O 8O 8O

Would water changes to bring down the ammonia level be a good idea when it reaches .25 ppm? Right now I am very close to that reading and my fish are showing no signs of stress. They are going about their business as the day I put them in.

What should I be looking for in the reaction of the fish to tell me that something may be wrong. I do not want to kill them, I would rather change the water at times to keep the ammonia levels down. This I suppose would also make the "cycle" time a little longer too?
Loss of color, odd swimming patterns, rapid breathing and surface gulping would be signs of distress. The lower the ammonia the better but you cannot eliminate it completely and still properly cycle the tank. As long as you are mindful of that and do not allow the ammonia or nitrite to get too high, the fish should survive. All you need are small amounts of NH3 and NO2 to allow the tank to cycle and the proper bacteria to form. Excessive or high levels do not do more for the scale of bacteria as it will only grow to meet the needs of the environment. I would keep some SW mixed and well aerated for a changes on the fly if needed.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom