An update on my setup - advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go with the shrimp those tabs are made for pools and that liquid is made for cleaning. I wouldn't put any of that near where i plan to invest tons of money on livestock. And NO the shrimp will not smell!

i wemt with 2 shrimp in my 55 couldnt even notice smell unless u was nose to nose with the salt water plus is ur rock cured?? i was reading u had it in a bucket i would assume so and i used cured rock and two shrimo had diatoms in 3 weeks only spiked to 1.0 ppm of ammonia and then nitritres came into plaay and then nitrates whats up with some pics did u get the stand built yet

Loso said:
i wemt with 2 shrimp in my 55 couldnt even notice smell unless u was nose to nose with the salt water plus is ur rock cured?? i was reading u had it in a bucket i would assume so and i used cured rock and two shrimo had diatoms in 3 weeks only spiked to 1.0 ppm of ammonia and then nitritres came into plaay and then nitrates whats up with some pics did u get the stand built yet

I was talked out of doing a sump by an idiot at my LFS and started with a 60 gallon tank and canister filter, then got cured live rock. Decided to use a sump but the tank/stand combo had to be returned together. That's when I got the 75 and decided to build a stand. The live rock is in a bucket with a powerhead and a heater til I get this up and running. I have a RO/DI on the way, and I need to pick up my overflow kit tomorrow from the post office.

I started building the stand last night but didn't like it because the screws would have taken on the weight, and I want the wood to bear the load rather than the screws. I finished the frame tonight.

I plan on sealing the frame and drilling the tank tomorrow. Then making the stand look good within the next few days.

Here is a pic of the stand so far, let me know what you think.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110113_222428.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110113_222428.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 104
I got the kit in from glass-holes.com. Drilling the tank had to be the worst thing I've done so far. Got it done, and it's a clean cut, but it was nerve wrecking! Will be finishing the build of the stand tomorrow, and hopefully staining it!

That's where I got my kit from glass holes but they give u everything u need and for ur stand I would def go with plywood fir extra protection and it would be quieter but keep up the good work

I got some plywood and some boards that I'm going to use as trim. I'm no carpenter so plain, non decorative trim will be used. I wanted to get nicer wood and stain it, but the wife wants me to paint it black, so it's going to be black. :)

I'm stuck though. Can't figure out what to do about the hinges. Rather than cutting the doors out, I figured I'd give myself better access to the sump area and just make the whole face of the stand open, and I can't figure out how to do the hinges. I've got the front two "doors" put together and the sides will be the same, but fixed to the frame. For the life of me I can't figure out a way to do the hinges where they won't stick out an inch. I may get a piano hinge and notch out a place in the side panels to completely hide the hinge, which is what I want.

I'm going to fill all the cracks with wood putty and sand it smooth so it should look like one solid piece when it's finished. Let me know what you think!

stand

I should clarify that I knew butt hinges would work, but since it is to be painted black, the brass or zinc coated hinges wouldn't look good. But my wife said that she is going to do some kind of rustic gold something on the doors. Who knows, but she said the brass hinges will work.

Also, is there any way a moderator could change the title of the thread to my build thread since that's what it's basically turned into? lol

Back
Top Bottom