Another question on tank size...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abemas

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the tank size minimum needed to be sure one can house any species of fish they want? For instance, would a 125g leave me wanting aside from the number of fish I can handle?

Also, I think I read somewhere it is better to have a longer and wider tank than a shorter taller one. What is the thought behind this?

I tell this to everyone that is in the market for a new tank: "Get the biggest one your wallet will allow." A 125g is a good size, but you will eventually find yourself limited. I currently have a 90G, and I am going to get at least a 240+ tank for my new home in a few months. Longer a wider would be ideal for almost anything. Just remember, the initial setup of a larger tank will require more money invested towards this hobby. However, you won't regret it later. :wink:

Mike

Abemas said:
Also, I think I read somewhere it is better to have a longer and wider tank than a shorter taller one. What is the thought behind this?

More surface area for gas exchanges (O2 and CO2).

Rediculous example...
Tank #1, 1'x1' base and 16' high = 200 gal (ball-park number)
Tank #2, 4'x2' base and 2' high = 200 gal

Tank 1 only has 1 square foot of surface area
Tank 2 has 8 square feet of surface area

Salttanker said:
I tell this to everyone that is in the market for a new tank: "Get the biggest one your wallet will allow." A 125g is a good size, but you will eventually find yourself limited. I currently have a 90G, and I am going to get at least a 240+ tank for my new home in a few months. Longer a wider would be ideal for almost anything. Just remember, the initial setup of a larger tank will require more money invested towards this hobby. However, you won't regret it later. :wink:

Mike

Yeah I'd like to go as big as possible but what I am considering is sticking with something like a 125 until the day comes when I can afford (and have the home with the capabilites) to put a wall tank in. But then again maybe I should just go with a big free standing one initially and scrap the future wall tank out right.

When you say that a 125g limits you eventually...o you mean just as in the number of fish the tank can handle?

Back
Top Bottom