Beginner help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends in the fixture, with pharos LEDs you need 2. I got both mine with a controller for $750. A pendent style fixture is generally rated at 2 feet of coverage hence needing 2.

Ok thank for all the great information. Back to the sump I have the dimensions of the chambers. On the left (I assume the return chamber where the pump will be is 11 5/8" front to back and 5 1/4" wide. Then there is the largest chamber I would think is the refugium 16 1/2" wide 7 1/4 front to back. The smallest chamber I think is the water entrance is 4" front to back 3 7/8" wide. Then the more narrow chamber is 4" front to back and 12" wide however in the middle of the chamber there is a short 1" tall divider on the bottom. I don't what the purpose of that is but I assume the protean skimmer will go in here if it fits does that sound right?

Another question: what about reactors like the carbon reactor chambers that hang on the side?

Reactors are easy to "squeeze" in as they are typically just a pump like a maxi jet. To maximize the skimmer I would either put it in the first chamber (on the left while standing above in the photo) or put a hang on back skimmer on the sump to keep it out of site. A hob skimmer can easily be modified for a sump by extending the output down to the water with a scrap of acrylic and adding a longer hose from the pump.

So the skimmer probably wouldn't fit in in the long narrow chamber closer to my feet? Or would it be ok to have the skimmer in the same chamber as the return pump?

I have my skimmer in the chamber that the water from the tank enters into, from there it goes through the refugium, then into the return chamber back to the tank. Honestly I don't think it matters what chamber it goes in but I would recommend a skimmer in there wherever it can fit.

Ok I am most certainly going to get one just didn't know where is should place it or if it needed to be in a specific place. Could some one have the protean skimmer in the same chamber as the return pump?

No, it cannot go in the return area. This area is where you will see all evaporation. The water level will constantly be fluctuating. A skimmer will work very poorly in this situation. You need a certain depth of water for a skimmer to work with optimal efficiency.

Ok thank you guys a lot! I value your opinions. So we covered lights and the sump. What about controllers and probes for like salinity and ph and temp how important are those?

You want a refractometer for salinity, and you can use a basic glass thermometer to know the temp. Probes are nice to have, but unnecessary. You can check Ph with a test kit.

Ok I was just curious becouse I deploy a lot and my lady watches after my tanks for me. If I did get some probes would I be able to monitor those online through a app or something?

Hi I've has salt water for 20 years now. I'd be happy to help if I could. Explain to me again what you looking to do. It looks like you have everything in the sump to get things connected. I started with a 75. I've had a 135 for the last12 years but now I think I'm down siZing to a 125. I thought it was time for a new tank anyhow

Is there any way I could hook up probes to monitor the salinity, ph, temp and monitor them from online or my phone

Yes, for a premium price. If you spend enough money, you can have the tank entirely sustained and you can simply enjoy the view.

Back
Top Bottom