Benjamin's 75g Garage Build (FOWLR to Reef)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's hard to say with no signs on the body. You got those at animal jungle right? I hope it wasnt from the long short tanks by the wall. Those are usually infested with something.

I'm no expert but I've heard chromis are mean little buggers and it's possible the two suspect ones are stressed/injured from the happy go lucky one thumping them.

Agreed, mine were happy (four of them) until one got injured. Then the started systematically taking each other out until I had one left!

I took him back to LFS.

It's hard to say with no signs on the body. You got those at animal jungle right? I hope it wasnt from the long short tanks by the wall. Those are usually infested with something.

Unfortunately yes, they were from one of the back displays and all seemed active when we got them. I have heard different stories from different people about most of the LFS here and to me, it seems hit or miss... luck of the draw. However, noted now due to personal experience :)

As for the chromis and being aggressive, I'm so confused. Research online says peaceful and schooling. The LFS backed this up as well. This was the reason I didn't get the 3 stripe or domino damsels, as I had read and was told they were more aggressive. It's really is confusing to hear that honestly. Oh well.

Yea it is hit or miss around here I agree with that . I tend to keep mental notes on the tanks that seem to have many issues. Hope it works out for you though.

Just a quick Friday update. I picked up a diamond watchman today at Fish Safari. I'm hoping he helps stir things up. He's super small at about 2". I'm still not ready for the mandarin but the tank is almost there. A few more weeks.

I broke out the sw test today as well. My phosphates are pretty high... somewhere around .5-.25. I want to attribute this to the fact I didn't have RO water the first month but who knows. I'm not over feeding that's for sure.

I'm doing another good water change this weekend and the skimmer seems to be doing it's thing. Hopefully I will have enough cash next month for a new skimmer. We'll see.

Adjusting right now... like I said, real small :)

stock-013.jpg

He will definitely sift sand, but typically they eat the critters that live in an established sand bed (1+) years old...

You could try feeding pellet food so that it sinks tithe bed for him.

my Phos was around there too for a while after switching to RODI. it's going to take more than 5x 10% changes to get down to unreadable levels if you're at 0.25 & even more for 0.5

Nothing to big to note atm. The goby is doing awesome. The sandbed is amazingly clean looking right now. I fed them some shrimp this morning and the goby ate some. He's also eaten a few flakes that made their way down this weekend. He doesn't seem to be picky which is good. He's made a nice home over on the right of the tank.

I rigged up the ATO float to some eggcrate. I'm just wedging this into the return chamber and it should work well. I also bought another Brute 20g at HD and I'm buying a 3/4" uniseal this week so I can retire the 29g RODI tank and have a bigger drain for mixing.

I am considering placing both the 20g on the shelf and plumbing them together with a ball valve and/or check valve in-between. That would allow for 40g of RODI and in the 2nd I can have a heater and powerhead dedicated for SW mix. I can cut off the connecting ball valve when it's time to mix, add salt and cut the power on. Later I can just drain the new water into the sump return chamber and water changes would be easy as pie. Sounds good in theory anyway, we'll see.

mrbee2828 said:
I just spotted a t5 fixture for $60. Coralife Aqualight High Output T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture 2X54W 48 inch Coralife T5 HO

The guy is throwing in 2 extra bulbs. This isn't a long term solution but it might work as the lighting on my nursery down the road when I upgrade the DT lighting. Thoughts? I can have it on the DT for now as additional to the CF.

Just add $40 and get the 4 bulb from aquatraders then you're all set for lighting. You won't need to worry about anything else.

I jumped on the group buy at the last minute and bought a Reef Octopus Skimmer OCT NWB150. I saved $20 at $179. I got slack on costs so let me see if I can get this updated some. Last I think was $1027 awhile back!

$1027 - last time I think
$30 - clowns
$30 - goby
$180 - new skimmer
$40 - 2 brute 20g
$15 - reflector and CFL bulbs
$10 - cheato
$20 - trigger pods
$40 - misc plumbing parts
-----------------
$1347 total to date

So this evening I spotted a brand new 4 bulb T5 fixture with moonlights and hinged legs for $110. It has 4 new Sea World bulbs. 2 54w 12,000k whites and 2 actinic bulbs. I offered $90 and we settled on $100. So I guess I'm only paying off 1/2 the skimmer when the cc bill comes now hahaa. I had to jump on it though.

The tank looks way better. I hope the newer bulbs are a better spectrum than the God knows how old PC bulbs I had, possibly helping with any algae problems. I'll shoot some pictures with the Nikon tomorrow. The iPhone pictures are terrible.

NOW CAN I GET SOME CORAL?!?!?! LOL The local reef club meets Saturday and there is a frag swap going on among other things including a frag tank raffle.

I'M GOING TO GET THIS THING STARTED!!!

$100 - T5 lighting with moonlights
-----------------
$1447 total to date

I also had some time today so I worked on some critter guards (or so I'll call them) for the refugium. It was starting to finally get some gunk growing so I threw some hermits and snails in shortly after. They are just held in with a little pressure. Cheap and easy! I'm still working with left over egg crate from my cichlid build :ROFLMAO:

sump-027.jpg

sump-028.jpg

mrbee2828 said:
So this evening I spotted a brand new 4 bulb T5 fixture with moonlights and hinged legs for $110. It has 4 new Sea World bulbs. 2 54w 12,000k whites and 2 actinic bulbs. I offered $90 and we settled on $100. So I guess I'm only paying off 1/2 the skimmer when the cc bill comes now hahaa. I had to jump on it though.

The tank looks way better. I hope the newer bulbs are a better spectrum than the God knows how old PC bulbs I had, possibly helping with any algae problems. I'll shoot some pictures with the Nikon tomorrow. The iPhone pictures are terrible.

NOW CAN I GET SOME CORAL?!?!?! LOL The local reef club meets Saturday and there is a frag swap going on among other things including a frag tank raffle.

I'M GOING TO GET THIS THING STARTED!!!

$100 - T5 lighting with moonlights
-----------------
$1447 total to date

Finally!! YES you can get coral now. But don't get SPS yet until you replace your PC lights. The bulbs are probably doing more harm than good. lol make that an even $1500 and order 2 bulb t5s from aquatraders.com for $50 then you can keep the easy SPS like montipora.

Back
Top Bottom