Bringing home tank tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, I purchased a 29g biocube and will be bringing it home tomorrow. The tank is up and running but with no livestock. The tank has water, about 25 lbs of live rock and sand. The tank as it sits now is cycled and ready for live stock. The place I am picking it up from is about 10 min from my house. I do not plan on stocking it for about a month after it is set up. Does anyone have any advice for me as far as breaking down the tank, moving it and setting it up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest testing the water if you can to see what the ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate level is at the moment. I mean if they used LR to "cycle" it (for who knows how long) you might want to make sure you're not just waiting a month for nothing when you could put in a shrimp as another ammonia source or something. Def. bring unused (not used for paint, chemicals, etc) paint buckets/ containers if you're not already. I'd recommend asking how old it is, if they are the original owner, and why they are selling it. Hope to see the progress of this tank! Reef, FOWLR, what will be your new setup?

Amicus said:
Hi all, I purchased a 29g biocube and will be bringing it home tomorrow. The tank is up and running but with no livestock. The tank has water, about 25 lbs of live rock and sand. The tank as it sits now is cycled and ready for live stock. The place I am picking it up from is about 10 min from my house. I do not plan on stocking it for about a month after it is set up. Does anyone have any advice for me as far as breaking down the tank, moving it and setting it up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Siphon water into clean buckets, take live rock out and place in buckets, take the sand if your going to use it and throw that in buckets also, all with the tank water. Test the water for salinity and all parameters. When you get it home, just scape it the way you like, add the sand and water and call it a day. Test in the morning when things clear up.

I'm willing to bet water changes are going to be the order of the day. Your disturbing the substrate and live rock so your going to be kicking up all kinds of debris so be prepared.

Just keep testing and see where your at. And preform water changes accordingly.

No rush, patience will go along way in this hobby.

Is the bio cube stock?

It'll be a reef tank. The person selling it runs an aquarium maint. business out if his home and a client moved so he is selling this tank. The tank is six months old. I am getting the tank, stand, LR, sand, lights, bio balls and some frags for an unbelievable deal. I have been a planted freshwater hobbyist for a long time and have been tossing the idea of a SW tank for a year or so and I found this guy. He also has a couple of frag farms and livestock too. I live in an apartment so the 29g will fit nicely and it's my first SW tank. The tank is cycled now, he has a Harlequin Shrimp and one or two more inverts in there. I am not taking any animals from this tank. I am worried about upsetting the bacteria colonies. I plan on putting frags in right away, can I do this? I was planning on holding off on stocking because 1. Cycling, 2. I plan on "practicing" maintenance activities before I put fish and inverts in.

I am firstly interested in improving the filtration. The second chamber was filled with bioballs, I have plenty of filter pads. Should I add some of that straight off?

I'm also worried about heat that the lighting may produce. It has 2 36w PCF and 15 blue LEDS in the hood. I do not want to buy a chiller, do you think one may be necessary?

Did you read the link? It will answer many of those questions. If you still have questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Convict2161 said:
Did you read the link? It will answer many of those questions. If you still have questions I'll do my best to answer them.

I didn't see anything about chillers in there. I was a little worried because all of the hqi biocubes I've seen have chillers on them. I'm not sure about PCF. I am open to upgrading above stock. I liked the filter system mods.

Amicus said:
I didn't see anything about chillers in there. I was a little worried because all of the hqi biocubes I've seen have chillers on them. I'm not sure about PCF. I am open to upgrading above stock. I liked the filter system mods.

You won't need a chiller with the power compacts. If anything leave the rear door open and when home crack the front one a little. Remember the pumps, power heads all add heat to the tank on top of the lighting. You should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom