Bristle worms??? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koco35

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello

I have just recently purchased a kenya tree frag that appears to be doing well in my tank. However this evening as I was drip acclimating a pair of clownfish to my tank I discovered two long pink prickly looking worms. At the moment they are only about an inch to an inch and a half long but I know they can do bad things.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I was told by the local fish store that a six line wrasse was the best way to go, but they have pushed me in the wrong direction before.

HELP!:eek:

Sounds like bristle worms. They're not bad; part of the CUC. They help Keep the tank clean.

Who said they can do bad things? They are an essential part of the CUC. Granted they are the ugliest part but probably the most effective too.

Who said they can do bad things? They are an essential part of the CUC. Granted they are the ugliest part but probably the most effective too.

When I called the lfs they told me that bristle worms grow to be very long and will eventually start to attack and eat my fish:eek:

They told me to do 1 of 3 things to remove it:

1. remove it with tweezers

2. Make a home made trap with bait

3. Get a six line wrasse to hunt it down and kill it.

I had already tried the tweezers option but in the process found another one in another location in my tank.

Plus the worm was too fast for me to get before he hid in a rock again!

The people at that LFS don't know very much about bristle worms. Bristle worms cannot catch fish, nor do they eat anything healthy. A 6 line wrasse will not eat a mature bristle worm.
These worms will grow in size and numbers according to the available food supply. If you don't like them, feed less.

Back
Top Bottom