Brown algae and high pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simi142

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,
I have a newly cycled tank. We added some Kenya Trees during the last week of the cycling because a friend had some to give away. Soon after we added a large piece of coral skeleton that we got with the tank. A couple of weeks passed and the Kenya Trees were looking good and all our levels where good so we added some hermit crabs and snails. When we tested the pH yesterday it was at 8.8. Also, in the past day our Kenya Trees have started to droop. Is the high pH due to the coral skeleton? Is this what is making our Kenya Trees sad? Is there something we should do about high pH or just let it level its self?

Also, we have brown algae all over everything. I think it is diatom algae and the crabs and snails are eating it up but is there something else I should do or just let them do their job?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Simi

The brown algae can be expected for a while after the cycling process, cut down on the lighting hours. What kind of lighting do you have and how long are they on? What are your other water parameters. I would suggest a water change, when is the last time you did one and what kind of water are you using?

We have metal halide lights going for 8 hours. All other parameters are fine. We have not done any water changes yet because it was cycling but we have added water since alot has evaporated.

simi142 said:
We have metal halide lights going for 8 hours. All other parameters are fine. We have not done any water changes yet because it was cycling but we have added water since alot has evaporated.

Also, we are using RODI water.

Back
Top Bottom