brown algae or diatoms help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vato805

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started my new aquarium 3 weeks ago, i let the water cycle until there was 0nitrites 0 nitrates and the ph was right, i then put in a live rock in the tank i got from my friend who had his in his aquarium of 2 years, and added a ocellaris clown fish everything was fine for about 2 weeks then my sand started to get brown spots now all the top layer of sand is all brown and there is brown spots on the aquarium walls. can anybody tell me what went wrong? how can i get rid of this ugliness? Please help!

My aquarium still gets the diatoms at times. twice weekly water changes of about 20% with RO/DI saltwater. A good protein skimmer and lowering the light cycle should take care of it. A new tank usually goes threw that as well in the beginning just keep up on water conditions and you should be fine.

Did you monitor the cycle is it complete? did you see an ammonia and then nitrite and nitrate spike

You talking about this. Yeah if so then try to use RO/DI water and I would try to cut light time in half. It will evenually go away. It's common in new tank I went thru it and I think every new tank goes threw it. Good luck. I think one of the Moderators have a link to get rid of Diatoms. That want it's call that your experiencing in your tank....

img_924427_0_6053ba7ad4caf54585678fee70b4fc97.jpg

You talking about this. Yeah if so then try to use RO/DI water and I would try to cut light time in half. It will evenually go away. It's common in new tank I went thru it and I think every new tank goes threw it. Good luck. I think one of the Moderators have a link to get rid of Diatoms. That want it's call that your experiencing in your tank....

img_924594_0_6053ba7ad4caf54585678fee70b4fc97.jpg
yes this is exactly what i mean, ok thanx guys

i was told after i was experiencing the same thing that they would go away on their own in a few weeks. it was driving me nuts, my pretty sand looked so nasty, my rocks looked horrible, and my glass was dirty.

however, just over time they somehow seemed to have depleted w/e valuable nutrient they required, i use tap water and they dont come back. im just dealing w/ red slime now and then.

i have added a phospho-ban bag to my sump, i dont know if it helps but its supposed to remove silicate from the water, its usage time is 6 weeks before replacement but ive not jacked w/ it for months.

your brown algae will go away on its own and be replaced w/ a new issue, as your gain more experience, more challenging problems will occur, and they become harder over time, strap on your boots and sit tight, the best you can ever do is keep your bio load as low as possible, that will give you luxury as compared to a high bio load tank.

Diatoms thrive off of silicates and light, once the silicates are gone, the diatoms will quickly follow.

Back
Top Bottom