can I risk it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
All my parameters have been 0-0-40 since Thursday. I really, really want to put something living in my tank. Can I put in some snails or crabs or something first? I would rather not put in fish first if I can get away with it. I want something I wont get too attached to if it dies. Also I have some Natures ocean sand to put in along with some coral sand. Is it safe to do a water change now, and put the sand in? Thanks :D

I would do a water change and put in the sand. Your water will cloud for a few days. If you happen to have an extra canister filter around you can use that to help clear the water. I would wait until the dust settles before adding any livestock. If all is well in a couple of day, add some snails and reef hermits. How did the big worm removal go? Sure looked gross.

I think that it would be safe to put fish in, I do not know about inverts.

Is there enough stuff growing for a snail to live in there?

Yes do the water change. Adding the sand will make water temporarily cloudy make sure you wash it. Have you decided what type of fish you want in the tank. Some fish eat crabs and snails so you need to decide on fish before buying. If your going with docile fish, I would get the snails and hermit crabs. They wont add to the bioload so you can get as many as you want. A dozen of each is a good start. Emerald crabs are a nice addition.

lando said:
How did the big worm removal go? Sure looked gross.

LOL it was SO gross. I scooped out cups and cups of worms. They smelled so bad, it turned my stomach. I left some in the tank(mostly in the back) to help the tank cycle, and they turned into a big grey blob. I am really glad they are gone.

Back
Top Bottom