Can you please post pics of your sumps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plkdb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Understand the idea of the sumps, but its been recommended by some on here to avoid using the bioballs, because they can increase the nitrates. Looking for pictures though of people using sumps without the bio-balls, just live rock, sand, or ? Thanks guys, its a great site, and if I ever get a stand, I look forward to annoying more of you. :wink:

Remember to not confuse a sump with a refugium. While many have small refugiums in their sump it does not make the sump a refuge nor does a refuge make a sump.

Here is a link to my sump photo gallery. Its a very simple 1 chamber sump (30 gal aquarium with some live rock or live base rock inside and submerged.

http://www.vafishfreek.com/gallery/Sump_Photos

See I think the part where I`m getting confused is I would like to have the best water quality possible, so I would like to do a filter in addition to a dsb and live rock. My tank isnt drilled at all, so I would have to get this done. But I dont understand how you use a wet/dry without the bioballs. Also havent seen anything on trickle filters. Please keep in mind, that I have been a small fw person all my life, so I`m doing my best to understand everything, I just get so many different answers from books and people. Thanks!

Almost forgot, If I were to do a wet/dry or similar, what are some ways that I can keep it from overflowing. We tend to have a lot of short power outages on base.

Take the bioballs out of a wet/dry and you have a sump. The only thing that makes a wet/dry a wet/dry is the trickling water over the bioballs.

To keep your tank from overflowing on a power outage you have to make sure you run your sump/wet-dry water level low enough to hold water flowing back down from the return lines from your main tank. Water will stop comming down your overflows when power goes out because there is no more water being forced into the tank. But since your return lines are almost always lower than your overflow water will backsyphon down the return lines into your sump until air can get into the plumbing to break the syphon.

Many people drill small 1/8th" holes just below the desired water line on their return plumbing. This way when electric stops and water starts to back flow the air will come into those holes and break the syphon.

Another way people help protect themselves is by installing a one way flap valve. (no metal parts!) This valve allows water to flow in only 1 direction. When power is cut the flap closes and seals off the plumbing keeping water from back flowing.

Back
Top Bottom