Careys Tank(s) Lots of Pictures, Questions & Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I ordered my kessil 350 wide yesterday can't wait to get it up and running.
Carey when I bought my aquarium in December off of craiglist. The aquarium came with live rock and the livestock. It had a scooter benny and he was my favorite fish. He ate frozen and dry pellets. I added a 6 line wrass to the tank from pet co (big mistake) and my fish got ick. I lost 2 fish but the benny survied, but shortly after that he stopped eating and starved to death. I would like to get another one but hearing your experience I guess not.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I bought one and took it back because ultimately in the future I may grow sps and I wanted the best I could afford. To bad it's not powerful enough for sps cause I liked the look of it too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I thought I would only grow zoas but the coral bug hit me and now I need to upgrade to a better light. I wish I bought one to start off with. Especially for my RBTA.

Yeah, equipment always gets us in the end. Sometimes you just cant get it right. lol I cant count the number of times I've purchased something and had to upgrade to a bigger or better item.
I kinda knew with the orbits I would be limited but had been hoping placement could overcome the not so bright led's, incorrect assumption on my part. lol But they will do really well for softies. My leathers havent looked so good in months. It's almost time for some new videos and pictures of the tanks!! LOL

Some sad news, as many people would have suspected the scooter didnt seem to make it. Cannot find him anywhere so not 100% sure but I think he died. :-(
Another fish i wont be trying again. Husband will just have to pick another fish.

You never know with the Scooter. I got a Ruby Red Dragonette a few weeks back and it was out front the first three weeks, or so. Then it started hiding out more. I just went three days not seeing it and finally saw it yesterday. Looks okay, although I have yet to actually see it eat (beyond the constant rock pecking).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry about the loss Carey. I know it hits you hard when you loose a fish. My green mandarin passed sometime in the last 45 days. Finally getting ready and getting through the wedding I didn't have much time for the tank... The lack of mysis probably finally did it in and starved.

Hey Sniper, sorry about your mandarin. Such beautiful fish and the least little thing can do them in. :-(

I kinda saw the writing on the wall when I saw how emaciated the scooters belly was when we got home. Its rare for them to make a comeback when they are so thin to begin with. I couldnt tell at the lfs, which is a learning lesson for everyone reading this post. CHECK out your fish before leaving the fish store!!! If I had seen it so thin i would have checked out the others they had and maybe have found one a little more plump than this one was.

And as a side note, I will have to get the 60g going and ready for fish and coral very soon. My anemone is stretching something awful in the 40b and it really needs a place to go to be happy. And the pixie hawk is just a pain in the butt, he keeps chasing the other fish. He hasnt caught one yet, not sure what he would do if he did, he is kinda tiny, but I can't have the stress for the other fish. He didnt go anywhere near the scooter or the lawnmower, both fish that seem to not get into tiffs with other fish, but seem to just ignore any grief they may get. I remember my Mandy used to just ignore any attempts at geting into a tussle, she just continued on her merry way hunting, never gave a second thought to any other fish bugging her. I really miss that fish. :-(

Thanks, Red. It was a rookie mistake not checking his belly. just slipped my mind. i was so busy looking at other fish and my husband was like I want one of these and pulled me over to the scooters. lol It was such a spur of the moment purchase. Unlike my usual planning and thinking. I typically go out with an intention of buying a certain fish or at least an idea. I never considered a dragonette for a single second. lol

So now i have a question for you guys. It's about flow in the 40b. I have my return pump at 550 now and am running a 425 along the back of the rocks. The front is not getting anywhere near the flow it had with the 950 running. The anemone has moved to the top of the rock which was in the middle of the previous flow, my gorgonian didn't open today at all and my torch wasn't as happy as usual. So clearly, it's a flow issue. What should I add on the left side as far as flow? I have that 425 on the sand almost behind the rocks pointing left, just to keep the sandbed clear and to push stuff towards the overflow to be caught up. Would another 425 on the left side front not be enough? I'm thinking it won't be enough but thinking a 550 would be too much. I intend to stay with softies and LPS in this tank with swimmy type fish. so I dont want go crazy with flow.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!!

Carey, I got the kessil today and made a home made hanger. I cost $3.00 vs $40.00 for the gooseneck. Anyway what should I be setting the lights vat. Right now I have them at 20%. Blue and white. What should I watch for in my anemone? I have the lights on for an hour now and the anemone is not stretching out. I'm really excited about this light. It has a nice shimmer.

Sorry I forgot to attach the picture I

Attachments

• 1404189189990.jpg
    1404189189990.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 123
Sweet! Nice thinking with the hanger. I wish i were that crafty. I would keep it around where youre at for a few days. mske sure no one starts looking unhappy then raise it up a % or two every few days. I am not 100% sure on how bright those kessils are but they ar significantly brighter than the orbit. It may not look it, leds' can be very misleading, but that light is way brighter.

If any coral starts to look weird you may even want to lower it a couple % just to make sure. I think it looks pretty cool. :)

I don;t like an overly blue tank so I like to keep a nice blend between blue/whites, generally in the 50 50 range. Some people like alot more blue so you would adjust based on your tastes.

Thanks, Red. It was a rookie mistake not checking his belly. just slipped my mind. i was so busy looking at other fish and my husband was like I want one of these and pulled me over to the scooters. lol It was such a spur of the moment purchase. Unlike my usual planning and thinking. I typically go out with an intention of buying a certain fish or at least an idea. I never considered a dragonette for a single second. lol

So now i have a question for you guys. It's about flow in the 40b. I have my return pump at 550 now and am running a 425 along the back of the rocks. The front is not getting anywhere near the flow it had with the 950 running. The anemone has moved to the top of the rock which was in the middle of the previous flow, my gorgonian didn't open today at all and my torch wasn't as happy as usual. So clearly, it's a flow issue. What should I add on the left side as far as flow? I have that 425 on the sand almost behind the rocks pointing left, just to keep the sandbed clear and to push stuff towards the overflow to be caught up. Would another 425 on the left side front not be enough? I'm thinking it won't be enough but thinking a 550 would be too much. I intend to stay with softies and LPS in this tank with swimmy type fish. so I dont want go crazy with flow.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!!

I think another 425 would be good, that would put you at roughly 30% which sounds good for softies and lps.

Ok guys, thanks for the input. I will add a 550 today, see how that goes. :)

I'm up early today and have the whole day so lets see what i can get done fish wise today! LOL

All the tanks can use a water change and the 60g is just screaming out for a rockscape. When you make a list of stuff that actually has to be done it seems like so much! lol

grrr the lowest gph available powerhead that I have right now is 1000. :-(

Cant afford to go out and gt a 550 so I will mess with what I have. lol

I also forgot totally to tell you guys, I picked up that 6 foot 12 t5 fixture last night. It has new bulbs, but needs 3 so I ordered those today. Just trying to figure out how to get it mounted over the 180 with the canopy right now. Its actually like half an inch over 6 feet.

With your orbit light. Do you have any other lights going along with it!?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nope, just the orbit on this tank.

I ordered a wp10 today and it will be here tomorrow. Gotta love amazon. :)

Back
Top Bottom