Completely New to Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still say the larger the better up grading is a waste of money you can put more time into learning with a big tank. Just remember it's not a race to get fish into the tank long and slow is the way to go with salt water when my salt tank was up I didn't put fish in for months and when I did it was the cheap ones first

What fish do you intend to keep? If you like tangs, then you want a 6' tank. A 125 would be the smallest I would go, but a 180 is a better choice.

What do you need for a reef tank? You will need a reef ready tank, a sump, lighting for both, live rock, a good quality protein skimmer, power heads for flow inside the tank, a refractometer, and test kits.

A sump is just an extra container of water to increase total water volume and keep many of your components in, like your skimmer, any reactors, and possibly a refugium. What exactly do you want to put in your sump?

I'm on a tight budget for this tank, the biggest I could probably do would be a 75

Ok, I'll get all of that stuff, the highest quality I can afford

And, what are you supposed to put in a sump

Will gave you all you will need for you tank look on line for some of the things you need price will be a little cheaper good luck with your tank

A 75 is a decent sized tank. You could probably keep a scopus or yellow eyed kole in something like that for a few years. In the sump I would have the protein skimmer, my heaters, and return pump. You could also keep a refugium as well. A 20 long is probably the biggest tank you are going to be able to fit in a 75's stand.
On a budget you could do a pair of Chinese LED panels for about 300 bucks give or take. A decent skimmer is probably going to run you around 300.

Not sure if its been mentioned or not, but look on Craigslist for used setups. Depending on where you are, there are often insanely good deals.

I agree with bigger is better too. Get as large of a tank as your budget allows.

Not sure if its been mentioned or not, but look on Craigslist for used setups. Depending on where you are, there are often insanely good deals.

I agree with bigger is better too. Get as large of a tank as your budget allows.

And you could also build some of the things you need DIY is always a good way to save money

Back
Top Bottom