Coral coloration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I notice big difference in the color of some of my coral. It seems to have faded. What can be the causes of this?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alk 7
CA 380/400
Mag 1350
Nitrates 0
P04 might be up a little haven't tested but I do have a small amount of cyano nothing out of the norm though

I have good growth on the corals just not coloring up.

I put light in acclimation mode but the coral is a holiday Monte bee in the tank for a long time now.

Phosphates can give some issues to some corals if they aren't used to it, try to keep them at .05-.03. Next question would be, do you feed them, how often, and what?

I dont feed them more than 1 time a week if that. When I do I feed red sea a and b. I notice I have a lot of cyano when I feed more than 2ml 1 time a week. I have a 60 gal system I maintain 15 gal weekly water changes using red sea pro salts and I have only 4 fish.

System has only been up for 1 year 5 months and 5 days.

Stop feeding that stuff into your tank. That is why things are the way they are. Most likely your phosphates are high. Foods like that are liquid phosphates. That is why you have cyano as well.

Do you spot feed the corals or throw it into the water column? I'd suggest spot feeding, instead of just tossing it in.

I fill a 8 ounce glass with tank water mix it and spot feed 1ml A 1 ml B. But seriously lucky if it's 1 or 2 times a month and normally it's done the right befor I do a water change.

Sounds like you got this nailed down. Only thing thats abnormal is your phosphate level, depending on exactly how high, at .25 usually ticks off even softies.

I suppose it's time for a nice new P04 test kit any suggestions?

What also confuses me is that I use brs high capacity gfo. I guess I could cut down a little on my daily fish feeding. I notice two fishes gfo works better but doesn't last as long.

I have tried multiple ways of feeding at one point it was to much and another I was just starving the fish they actually started getting skinnie. I feed 6 days a week now but my tank always snags the food from my wrass so I end up adding a little more than I should. I'll just let him grow a pair.

I use SeaKlear Phosphate remover, and feed the crap out of my fish. Using GFO, once its full, unless you already have it at a very low range, it fills up quickly, and it does nothing at that point for you.
Hanna Checker Low Range, for the phosphate checker, its the only one acurate at that low range we need, thats affordable.

I test weekly, and only add one capful to the tank when its needed. I put it near my canister filter intake, as it can get stringy once it in bound form.

Back
Top Bottom