CoralRX Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm wanting to add a few corals to my FOWLER tank but am curious about this product. If I use it to dip my corals in, can it hurt my shrimp that I have? I have a fire shrimp and a coral banded. In addition, if I dip live rock in it to remove unwanted hitchhikers, will it soak up the coralRX and release in my tank later? I am wanting information before I do anything and of course I plan to QT everything for a bit. How long do you QT corals? I've had fish but this is new to me. Thank you!!

I use the Rx i dip for 5 minutes using a power head to help remove any pest then a quick rinse in salt water then i QT for 2-4 weeks just to be sure there's no pest and the coral is opening and responding well The small amount of live rock that the coral is attached to wont really soak up to much and if it does leach it does it in the QT

So can I soak new live rock when I get it in this as well as long as I QT it? How long does it take live rock to leech it all out if I do? I was planning on adding some more LR but I don't want the worms etc that come with it whether they are good for the tank or not.

CoralRx is made with natural ingredients so if it leached any thing i would think it may cause algae.
With live rock i would soak for 10-15 min with a PH then cure it in the normal way (3-4 weeks) You could go with base rock and save a lot of time and money. Seems like your defeating the whole point of live rock by dipping it to remove most if not all of the good stuff.

The only reason I want to dip the live rock is that I had a 20 gallon tank that I'd set up (this was long ago by the way) and had QT the cured rock to make sure I didn't have any die off plus for parasites, hitchhikers, etc. and after a few weeks when all looked good, I put it in my little tank and found these red earthworm looking things (they were smooth and slimy looking as well as LONG) crawling out of it one night. I tried to find out what they were but couldn't find a picture that looked like them. I know that some worms are good but I don't like them in there. Yes, I'm being a girl about it...LOL!

Basically, I put two clowns in and called it "good" because I was afraid to put anything else in. I thought it could be a fire worm but don't they have little bristles? I saw them up close and they were smooth. There were 5 or 6 if them...5 or 6 more than I wanted!!! =(

What would cause excess algae in it? I've not bought any yet so I don't know what all is in it and just started to do research. I want to make sure I get everything I need before jumping in. Lighting was first so I have that. Water is good and right now I only have one clown in my 56 gallon tank as I just got rid of the tang and coral beauty (they were gifts and my tank isn't big enough for them).

I know that some worms are good but I don't like them in there. Yes, I'm being a girl about it...LOL!

:lol: They freak me out too. With it being natural (Rx) id tend to lean towards it feeding algae as it breaks down. I used a worm trap and got all of the worms out of my tank took about 3 weeks

Good move with the tang the CB may have been ok though but on the bright side you have more room for more fish

LOL! That tank was broken down when I moved and I now have a 56 gallon. I can't have a huge tank because of the weight upstairs. So the coralRX will get the worms out then right? Yes, I sound paranoid because I AM! LOL!

Yes iv'e found worms tiny snails and other weird things after a 5-10 minute soak. A 2-5 minute soak in fresh RO/DI should work also it's what i used to do before i started using the CoralRx.

Back
Top Bottom