Corals!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have a 55 gallon FOWLR and am getting antsy to try some corals. Could someone or many ones (?) give me the low down on SPS and LPS and their differences? I have a t5 HO 4 bulb (2 10k days and 2 blue actinic 460's) and do not intend on upgrading the lights, so what could be some options for corals that don't require crazy amounts of light? Thanks :cool:

T-5 4bulb HO should grow just about anything with the exception if super light demanding creatures. I'd start with some mushrooms or zoas. They're pretty and hardy. Not very light demanding and they're forgiving. They ate both soft coral

+1 on above leathers will be fine torch, frogspawn,zoas,mostly all softies lps will be fine go for it!

So try to stick with LPS? Are the so-called "with-caution" reef compatible fish more prone to nip at these at all?

With caution have about the same risk with Lps or sps. And even some Los you could do. Like a monti plate would be one you could try.

So how does this "with caution" classification of fish work? Is it basically a crap shoot or is there something that you actually have to do to prevent it? Like more frequent smaller feedings, or something like that?

With caution can mean a variety of things even including fish that eat inverts. Some eat specific corals while others will pick at any coral just depending on the specific fish's personality.

Ummm... With caution means basically it's a 50/50 shot that it will nip at your coral. Making sure it's well fed and has other stuff to graze on should help keep them off your coral and in the nori or whatever you end up putting in your tank for them to graze on. But there's always that chance you'll get the jerk fish that would rather eat your coral than seaweed or even food.

I see.. Stuff to think about then lol.. What could I add as a CUC if they eat my hermit crabs?

Benamayer said:
I see.. Stuff to think about then lol.. What could I add as a CUC if they eat my hermit crabs?

Fish that eat hermits will make a meal out of most other inverts too but the best option would be a snail of somekind probably. Like I said though every "with caution" has its own reasoning so research will be needed to fully understand why its a risk.

Khij159753 said:
T-5 4bulb HO should grow just about anything with the exception if super light demanding creatures. I'd start with some mushrooms or zoas. They're pretty and hardy. Not very light demanding and they're forgiving. They ate both soft coral

Will any of these put chemicals in the water that can hurt other corals or fish? I had read that you shouldn't add certain corals together some time back. I think it was in regards to territory and when one begins to encroach on another's. grrr...I swear I'm not making this up! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom