Crud on the glass that won't come off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jan4scuba

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm not sure if this should be a continuation of a previous post or not, but it's a specific problem do I started a new topic.

After picking up a RSM 130 that I thought was in good shape for $300 I brought it home and stated to clean it up. All the equipment, the stand and everything was perfect EXCEPT THE GLASS. What I thought was salt residue turned out to be some other type of discoloration at different parts of the glass.

I have tried hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, scraping with razor and algae pad with no change. I started getting desperate and went online to get some ideas. Like always opinions were contradictory and all over the place.

I took a chance and then used Bleach and CLR. I know bad bad bad. I had read that with enough clean rinsing I will get rid of all the traces of the cleaners.

Anyway it's still there although it has faded somewhat. From what I can tell it looks like the places the corals were leaning.

Has anyone seen this and can someone give me any other suggestion in how to get the crud off the aquarium glass.

Thanks
Jan

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Jan, I recently used something for my dishwashing machine called LemoShine I got at Walmart. It has natural ingredients like baking soda and citrus. It worked wonders on my dishwasher, maybe try that because it's not as caustic as CLR. Just a thought...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it but my feeling is if CLR can't clean it's just not coming off.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom