cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericosuave

Aquarium Advice Regular
if my tank is fully cycled and has ammonia - 0 nitrites - 0 and nitrates - 0.5 - 1.. does this sound good?

and if it does sound good.. would it be ok for me to turn off my protein skimmer for like 2 days..? and should i also do a 20% water change since my cycle is complete?

umm.. maybe I have this wrong but I don't think you needed to have your protein skimmer on when cycling... I think its after?

Once the cycle is complete, it is best to do a large water change to help reduce the excess nitrates but since you do not have any really, a regular water change would still help replenish the trace elements depending on the cycle time frame. It gets the chemistry up to par in preparation for possible animal additions.

The skimmer will not get much from the tank unless using uncured LR to cycle with. You can really forgo the skimmer for the first few weeks at least since there may not be much DOC at this point. It will allow an opportunity for coralline to get hold and spread if the lights and chem are good.

Cheers
Steve

umm.. maybe I have this wrong but I don't think you needed to have your protein skimmer on when cycling... I think its after?
is it bad to run a skimmer while cycling? or just unnecessary?

dela

Running a skimmer isn't necessarily bad during the cycle, there's just not much in the water to remove. If you are cycling with LR then a skimmer may help any hitchhikers survive the cycle.

I'll only add that if youre cycling with UNcured LR then a skimmer is necessary.

I think I'll second that (BillyZ), I've been cycling for two weeks now and the skimmer has been going from day one. Also pulling all sorts of gunk from day one.

Back
Top Bottom