Deciding which fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dromo2189

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello i was looking to getting a new fish. The only think is i don’t have a lot of room. I was looking at a 180 gallon but after measuring realized it might be to Big. Was thinking a 125 long or even a 150 that’s 48x24x30. Which do you think is better? The 125 has a built in overflow

A built in overflow is always a major plus on all systems. It is something I couldn’t wait to have when I upgraded my system. If you can start off with one, you are ahead of the game imo.

Do you think a 125 is big enough? Like i would like a blue hippo tang

The 120 is a 4 version of the 180. I have both and neither are easy to reach the bottom of.
I recently got the Deep Blue frag tank that is 80g[4x2x16"].
Very nice and easy to work on...I also got 2 of the 4x2 60g tanks also.
I would not go deeper then the 120 myself aswith specific fish the vertical space is wasted..
In theory If the 150 is 4x2 I can keep as many fish in my 80 that is 4x2,,It is foot print that is more important then volume IMO.

The 120 is a 4 version of the 180. I have both and neither are easy to reach the bottom of.
I recently got the Deep Blue frag tank that is 80g[4x2x16"].
Very nice and easy to work on...I also got 2 of the 4x2 60g tanks also.
I would not go deeper then the 120 myself aswith specific fish the vertical space is wasted..
In theory If the 150 is 4x2 I can keep as many fish in my 80 that is 4x2,,It is foot print that is more important then volume IMO.

don't remind me of a deep tank my 90g is almost 2ft deep my armpit is killing me working on it all week , deep tanks are nice but when it's time to work on them it's no fun , I will never again get a tank higher than 18 inch ever again .
my armpit will vouch for that :fish2:

So sounds like if the 180 isn’t possible the 125 will be good.

don't remind me of a deep tank my 90g is almost 2ft deep my armpit is killing me working on it all week , deep tanks are nice but when it's time to work on them it's no fun , I will never again get a tank higher than 18 inch ever again .
my armpit will vouch for that :fish2:

Agree with this. I have a 24" deep tank and it is a pain to reach the bottom. Have to grab a stool every time I drop my pruning tools, nets, or even to remove old food etc etc etc. 18"depth is ideal for most fish we will keep.

For what it's worth, the 125 looks to be the best choice if a shallow, easily accessible tank is the goal. I personally like the 5' 120 gal. I know it's a lot deeper and maybe a little wider, but it allows space for additional hardscaping and more turn around space for the fish. I've never experienced aquarium access problems. Mother nature blessed me with extra long stilt legs:)

Yeah i wish my local fish store carried the 120 5ft long. But they carry a 4x2x2

Back
Top Bottom