Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animalguy8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys I cycles my tank as you know. It has been running for a month. The diatoms bloomed in my cycling and went away. Now I have it again with an eel in the tank. I have a couple snails but they aren't cleaning up enough. Should I get more snails? How can I get rid of it with out removing anything?

What are the parameters in the tank? Diatoms feed off of silicates in the sand and rock and go away when they are consumed. For them to come back again makes me think that you are seeing the start of cyanobacteria rather than diatoms.

Nitrites and Nitrates are at 0 pH is around 8, 8.5 my carbonate is at 240 and my general hardness is at 180.

If its still Diatoms, it'll go away again by themselves, they feed off of silicates, and once its all gone, they will be gone.

As your tank matures the diatom will go away. Have you checked your phosphates?

Like has been said already, Diatoms feed off silicates. What kind of water are you using? If you are not using RODI, this could be a source of silicates. I had a conch which really helped sift the sandbed and keep it clean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom