Did I mess up with my lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
I ordered 2 Ecoxotic panorama pro modules, the 50/50 kind. My reasoning behind this was since my tank was 29 inches long and the modules were both 12" each, I wanted a even lighting across my tank. But now I think I have a problem.

Basically I know how people have their blue lights turn on an hour before and turn off an hour after their whites but what can I do? The 50/50's run on one cord so I can't control the blue's/white's independently. I was thinking of getting one 12k module and 1 blue module but again I wanted the even lighting across my tank. Is there a solution to my situation? Will it be bad for corals if I don't have the warm up period of just blues and then blues + whites during the day?

I was thinking of possibly turning on 1 module initially and the next an hour later :hide:...don't know if that will do any good though. Thanks for the help guys.

Don't they have a controller on the fixture that can turn on the blues and white individually? Always, you could definitely turn on one fixture and then the other, but the light will definitely not be even throughout the tank.

If you still haven't ordered them, I would just go with a t5ho fixture.

I've never seen that one before. For acclimating coral, you can turn the lights on and off in 4 hour intervals. Honestly, if you have a lot invested in coral or want higher light demanding coral, I would stray away from these particular lights. I would even go with a DIY led lighting that could fit your tank with just one fixture.

I already ordered them and should be arriving today. My tank is only about 16 inches deep so I figured I would just place higher light demanding corals higher up. Is there a reason you say to stay away from these LED's?
I was considering T5's but I didn't want to deal with the heat and lightbulb costs in the long run.

Well for me, I am planning on having a bunch of sps coral, and there aren't much success with keeping them very long with LEDs. If you're only planning to keep softies, then any lights will do, even the lights to light up a refugium lol.

I am not going for too many sps , probably just 1 that I really like. I don't know though about the much success keeping them long term though, where are you getting this from?

francis said:
I am not going for too many sps , probably just 1 that I really like. I don't know though about the much success keeping them long term though, where are you getting this from?

I've heard people say it, including my lfs, read on google and heard on YouTube. Whether it's true or not I'm not sure, but honestly did not want to risk it since I was planning on buying expensive coral.

Who says LEDs can
slightly reassured, and the almost exclusively part just refers to when they were frags, but were under only LED's for past 4 months *according to comments.

But since I already paid for these other ones, back to the photo acclimating process. Is it okay to not have the blue lights individually for the corals? In the beginning I will have a short photo period/place corals lower/etc, but I am just worried about each day. Is it okay for one of the 50/50's to turn on first, and then the other one? And at night one would shut off an hour earlier than the other

Yeah that's what people do. In the morning, one fixture would turn on, then some time later the other will turn on, then at night one turns off and then the other.

your quite welcome. I'm considering 3 canons for my upcoming build. I have to call them and see what kind of spread and PAR, and if i can get a deal on 3!

they were pretty strict on pricing with me and from what I hear on the web but then again i'm pretty sure theres a difference in price between those and mine :) thanks again mr_x

Back
Top Bottom