Diy new build tank( basic questions)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick862

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have wanted to upgrade my 170L tank to a custom made 320L tank that is 700mm hi by 900 in length. My first question is how would I work out how much power I would need if I was to make an led light fixture in 3 watt LEDs. I know it's different from conventional lighting as you don't work it on watts per gallon. The second question is what size pipe should I use for the return and overflow? The pump I'm using is a 3500L with an 30mm outlet

Thanks

Soft Lps sps, I was looking at a full spectrum led fixture (165watt) would that be enough or would I need more.

Should be plenty if you keep your SPS close to the top of the rock structure, I just purchased a fully dimmable, 120W, LED fixture on eBay for right at $100. Give's about a 24" light spread, which may be a little short for your tank, but if you build your rock up in the center, it would do fine.

D

Ok thanks, just seen a 165w fixture for £140 on eBay. I think that would be better than the 120w.

What is the difference between a 120w fixture that cost £350 and a 120w fixture that cost half that? Is it the life of the LEDs or are you just paying for a name like aquamedic

Cheers

Ok thanks, just seen a 165w fixture for £140 on eBay. I think that would be better than the 120w.

What is the difference between a 120w fixture that cost £350 and a 120w fixture that cost half that? Is it the life of the LEDs or are you just paying for a name like aquamedic

Cheers

You definitely pay more for a trusted name, but there are some better parts used to build more expensive lights, normally you have better cooling fans or heat sinks in bigger brand lights, but that isn't always the case. I ordered the $98 120W because my LFS chooses to use them over the $400 LED's they sell and their corals have awesome colors and growth. Just find some that you like and that people you trust recommend.

D

Back
Top Bottom