Everything in tank is dying overnight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mokiesbay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Came home from work yesterday and everything in the tank appears to be dying. Water test showed normal ranges for ph, nitrates, nitrite, alkalinity, and ammonia, . Tank appeared a little cloudy. All coral are shriveled up. Snails and clam look dead. Fish and shrimp seem to be fine. I found the protein skimmer pump in the sump not working. It had a smell like a burnt motor. Over 3 different water changes in the last 24 hours I have changed out about 60% of the water. I am new to the hobby, but purchased an established tank about 5 months ago. Anyone have any ideas what went wrong or how more importantly how to bring my tank back to life?

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

Any mobile animal casualties and was the skimmer "insump" or out of the water?

Cheers
Steve

casualties

The pump was in the water. So far the only casualties have been all the snails, big clam and corals. The fish are ok and the star fish are ok.

Could be the pump caused a large temperature spike. I would continue with water changes (well aged/aerated) and also place a carbon bag in a high flow area of the sump or canister filter if you have one. You will most likely need to change it a few times for new. Be sure anything dead is removed and any coral that is dieing but not dead is fragged. Corals that have simpley closed up may yet fully recover and should be left alone unless there are signs of necrosis. You will also need to replace that pump.

How's the water chemistry...?

Cheers
Steve

Steve brought up a good point. Make sure water is well aged. 60% fresh made salt water is too caustic for fish and corals.

More dead

More dead today. I have officially lost my clam, snails and star fish. The fish and shrimp seem to be ok. My water test are: amon 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, alk 2, ph 8.2. I have had a carbon bag in since yesterday. I did notice the water was warmer than usual when the pump went out. If this was caused by a water spike from the pump, how do I prevent this from happening in the future? Also, what do you mean by "aged" water? I run mine through a reverse osmosis unit.

What is the current SG and temp?
what do you mean by "aged" water? I run mine through a reverse osmosis unit.
You should mix your SW in a container and let is age for 24-48 hrs with a heater, powerhead and airstone in it. Make sure it is the same temp, Ph, and SG as the main.

Keep an eye on the alkalinity. If you've changed out 60% of the water and the level is at 2 mEq/l, either the salmix is on the low side or the die off is affecting it. As well as what Lando asked, how's the Ca?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom