Exchanging tap water with deionized water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strumminthesix

Aquarium Advice Newbie
If I do water changes with deionized water with it eventally rid my tank of all tap water(originally treated with Start Right water conditioner), or should I restart again with all deionized water? My 65 gallon tank has been running for about a week and is well into the cycling process. How much trouble will I have If i just keep using conditioned tap water?? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks, Alex

Just switch to RO/DI water. No need to drain the tank and start over. There are no fish or anything in the tank. When i first filled my tank i used tap water and treated the water. For water changes and top offs i use RO/DI. hope this helps.

it'll take time, but yes you'll eventually dilute all the tap water with DI water.

But I would not continue using tap water unless you happen to have really amazing tap water. fish and inverts will do much better with 'pure' water that's only had salt added to it.

Back
Top Bottom