Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bheusmann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do I need any other type of media other than my wet/dry? I have a sponge filter in the overflow for my sump, then the water goes through the protein skimmer and falls onto a tray with small holes that drains over the bio balls and then thru one large block sponge before it is returned to the tank. My LFS has a felt material that I used in my freshwater tank that would sit ontop of the bio balls and "prefilter" that water? Is any other type of filtration needed?

I have also noticed that my protein skimmer is filling up very quickly, like within seconds. The bubbles are going into and overflowing into the cup at a very high rate. I have raised it as high as I can. My tank is in the cycling process too, if this has anything to do with it. Thanks for any help.

-Bryan

The skimmer may also be because of whatever you are using to dechlorinate. The ones with slime protectors cause over-activation of skimmers which means they fill up with water VERY fast and also dump bubbles into the water. If this is the case and if you are not using Prime for the de-chlorinator, Prime is the best one to stop that particular problem. But it also can take a couple weeks when you first set it up. Also the bio balls can cause a nitrate problem. Do you have live rock or are you planning on getting any?

What type of sump is it? Sounds like a Pro Clear Aquaic Systems sump. I would just close the air-valuve on the skimmer for now. You do not really need to be skimming right now anyways. Ocne the tank is cycle and thewater aged try opening it again. As far s filter media goes...use the filter pad that can came on top of the trickle tray. yu may want to consider ditching the bioballs and replacing them with live rock rubble. Bioballs can cause consistantly high nitrates. I got LR rubble from my LFS for free. Its what was left in the boxes after their LR shipments. Check out my gallery, I have a few pics of my sump in there. HTH...Lando

Back
Top Bottom