Finally got my first tank started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got my first salt water tank set up today. 20 gallon. Live sand, base rock, Hydor koralia 240 and for now, a Hob filter. I think I'll get rid of the HOB and get another koralia for the other side. What do you think ?

Attachments

• tank 007.jpg
    tank 007.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 97
Adding another powerhead might be ok depending what types of corals you plan to keep, but I wouldnt remove the HOB filter unless you have another filter method such as a sump or wet/dry setup.

This is going to be a fish only tank for now. would one powerhead and the hob be enough ? Also, I have a skimmer to put in after my cycle finishes.

Tank looks good.I agree, you still need the hob or another type of filtration along with the second power head.Live rock is a good filter but it needs help getting rid of waste and keeping the ammonia and and nitrites down.If you don't want an hob the other options are a canister,an underwater filter or, as czwicky mentioned,a sump.A sump is underneath you tank and it can hold your equipment,filter your water and add water volume.There is also the Berlin method of filtration. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/berlin-method-of-filtration/
Here's an article from the site explaining a sump: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/sumps-explained/
Good luck!i

i wouldnt bother with the hob filter they need a lot of maintenance to stop them building nitrates imo i'd buy a protein skimmer will help your tank a lot more

hob filters are not "nitrate factories" i have a 36g bow front fowlr with a topfin 75 dual output hob filter and all it takes is swapping filters with water changes and your golden, for atnk that size (nano) you need a hob for mechanical filtration (water polishing) you dont need a skimmer for a tank that size either, invest in a good hob filter and add another powerhead and youll be good with weekly water changes, your live rock with do the biological filtration for you, your on track dont worry.

Just out of interest what extra benefit would water polishing do than skimming? The skimmer will remove organic mater from the water and is usually a Key part of the Berlin filtration method to my understanding?

Just out of interest what extra benefit would water polishing do than skimming? The skimmer will remove organic mater from the water and is usually a Key part of the Berlin filtration method to my understanding?

dont get me wrong, it works wonders, but for such a small tank and it being fowlr for now a skimmer isnt needed with a good hob filter and light feedings and a good cuc, he'll have a healthy system, if he wanted to make it a reef and add corals and higher experience level fish he could always add a hob skimmer later on if thats the case, but for his setup now a good hob paired with the powerheads is a great setup for a 20g tall.

with a topfin 20 hob and 2 koralia 240 ph's he'll have a 29x water turn which is ok for a fowlr.

with a topfin 30 hob and 2 koralia 240 ph's he'll have a 31.5x water turn, which is great.

with a topfin 40 hob and 2 koralia 240 ph's he'll have a 34x water turn which is even better.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info.
I already purchased an aquaticlife 115 internal skimmer so I will still use it. More the better...right ?

Thanks for all the info.
I already purchased an aquaticlife 115 internal skimmer so I will still use it. More the better...right ?

thats actually a great little skimmer, i have a buddy with it on his 40g breeder and its works like a charm its been running over a yr now with no issues, i was contemplating getting one myself for my 36g bow front but i really dont need it for a fish only.

Should I still get another powerhead though ?
the more circulation the better, and you can point them at each other to diffuse the current.

thats actually a great little skimmer, i have a buddy with it on his 40g breeder and its works like a charm its been running over a yr now with no issues, i was contemplating getting one myself for my 36g bow front but i really dont need it for a fish only.

I was looking at that little skimmer for my 40 breeder, bit the write up says its for 30gal and less. Good to hear it is working on your fiends tank. How often does he do water changes? how many fish, coral in his tank?

thanks

I was looking at that little skimmer for my 40 breeder, bit the write up says its for 30gal and less. Good to hear it is working on your fiends tank. How often does he do water changes? how many fish, coral in his tank?

thanks

Lightly stocked with a lot of corals he has maybe 4-6 fish with a taotronics led fixture and a fluval 406 canister and that skimmer, and weekly water changes and canister maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom