First salt tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lamby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all the saltys here on AA.

So lately Iv been wanting to convert my brakish water tank which is currently housing 2 bumble bee gobys to a full salt set up. Iv been told every thing I have is good enought to support marine life I have a skimmer incase I ever want to try corals.

The thing thats got me worried is parameters im not to sure what I should have my salt at and my ph. And what kinda tests are needed for corals.

sorry if its confusing or in the wrong forum I need bigginer help.

Iv been doing my research for a while I have a tank but fish only upgrading to reef tank. Your salinity should be about 1.023 to 1.025. Normal stuff you need to test for is your ph ammonia nitrite and nitrate. For corals you need to test your phosphate calcium and magnesium. I use kent nano reef A-B kit it has all your basic stuff like the calcium needed for corals. For your ph In a fish only your fine with 7.4-8.0 but in a reef tank you need about 8.0-8.4.

tanks tiny it only a 10g its only good for shrimp gobys or snails but thought about a single sea horse with a shrimp is it a bad idea as the tank is a bit small.

Im open to stocking as it will all be pretty new i think il do fish only for a few months till im more comfy with it.

my current freshwater are at 8 so thats all easy doing ph and salinity my bumble bees sit at 1.008 so Il buy more salt.
If i can get the tank dimenision could you recomend the amount of live rock and sand il need

I would shy away from the seahorse at least until you are comfortable with everything. They like to have pristine conditions.

Thank you what would a good bigginer salty fish be. i want some thing with bright colours but not a damsel also would a shrimp be hard to care for in a new set.

Iv also been told that I should set it let it run for at least 2 month just empty so the water parameters can settel in and level out is this correct. my filter has been running for 3 month with the salinity at 1.008 or will my good bios all die when I add more salt

Hell keen to start this tank now il have to wait for christmas to pass to palm off some fish

Time means everything when starting. For my 28 gallon I waited about 40-50 days before I added my first fish. (2 clowns) now a ten gallon may not take as long to complete the cycle and stableize but be very careful when adding livestock. Take you time in between. Every animal will add to you bioload and the bacterial needs the to catch up.

As far as livestock in a 10gallon you are pretty limited. A small goby and pistol pair, or perhaps just a small invert tank would be cool. If you lights will allow a small reef build with justa few snails could be nice too. They always say Nigeria better with saltwater so I would suggest if you have the ability upgrade. I love my 28g jbj cube everything is all in one and the water changes are a minimal amout so I don't have to store large quantities of water. That was long hope it helps any questions just ask.:)

yeah I will go bigger but im not ment to have any tanks at the moment rentals, they have aloud my 150liter FW tank my brakish 10g and also 3 other small FW tanks.

Might have to see if they would let me if I sold the small tanks

I wouldnt mind an invert only tank that would be cool maby one goby if i have good filtration. tanks bigger but im guessing it will en up 10g after live rock and sand.

You could have a pair of ocollaris clowns and a goby. I have a 10 gal. Now with a maroon clown and a orchard dotty back. But that's only bc im upgrading in a month to a 30 gal. So maybe if you will be able to upgrade in the future.

yeah Il be upgrading probaly to a 20g from a mate but thats a while away

sweet see to start with i want 1 clown and a pistol pair love the pistol shrimp they have at my LFS could sit and watch it for house or a pair of clowns and the shrimp but il be doing alot more research befor I even start my cycle should be about a month befor I Kick off my nano build I guess amd after I rehome the bumble bee gobys too

oh and with a tank this small will the shower bar styled filter give enought movement in the tank and it puts bulk bubbles in when it running or should i fully submerge it and use the spray bar like a power head.

i never see bubble in salty set ups

I would try to get a little more movement I just have this mini koralia pump I got for 18 bucks at petco.

yeah its realy hard to find small power heads in western australia Im waiting for pay day to order one off ebay

O ok use the spray bar for now just make sure you get some more movement in there

Back
Top Bottom