First saltwater tank Fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmbtengnr43

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone I'm thinking of trying my luck at marine life. I have a 25 gallon tank with an aqua clear 50 hang on back filter. It has two 24" t8 bulbs in the hood so plenty of light. I just recently emptied it and put about 2" of aragonite sand in it and refilled. Its been running for a few days. At first I was thinking of African cichlids however most of them get to big for a 25 so I was thinking maybe of trying a couple clowns and maybe a shrimp or two. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice as to what I would need to have and what fish I could keep? I'm on a very tight budget so less is more for me right now. Any and a advice will be appreciated but please be respectful about it I know I'm somewhat ignorant when it comes to salt water. Thanks!

So it's freshwater in the tank now? My advice is to do plenty on research! Ask questions here, look online, buy a book. First you will need to look up the cycling process, different to freshwater and very important. Unfortunately it's not really a cheap hobby to get into!
You will need some supplies, a couple of power heads for water movement, possibly a skimmer (not necessary but helpful) a saltwater test kit, heater, salt! You will also want to look at buying some (or loads) of live rock to go in there.
You also shouldn't use tap water (even conditioned) in a salt water tank, do you have ro-di? Where do you get your water from now? It is important to maintain good water perimeters, hence the text kit and regular water changes are a must...
As for lights if you are just wanting fish and no corals your light will be fine, but not strong enough to grow any types of corals I am afraid...

Back
Top Bottom