First time set up - am I missing anything? 72 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mardeebo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi!

I bought a 72 gallon bowfront set up & running saltwater and brought it home last night. I was able to transport all but about 15 gallons of the prior owner's water.

Here's what's up & running on the tank:
3" of live sand
50# of live rock (approximately)
2 Bak-Pak2 with the white plastic strips (looks like shredded paper) and the pre-skimmers.
2 Aqua-Clear 300 with bags of carbon and phosphate something or other.
2 300W heaters
1 power compact with 130Watts total output (I think)

We have one spiny sea starfish, a large NASTY Sebae Clown, 2 bubble tip anemones, and various snails & crabs. I have some of that rock anemone growing as well that I need to kill off.

The purchase included all of the supplies - and I have more stuff than I know what to do with. Every kind of Kent brand supplement, vitamin, conditioner, additive etc that they make. Also have a Diotomatic filter not being used, add'l powerheads, another powercompact lighting unit (no bulbs), sump pump, RO filter, etc. I haven't gone through everything but we literally stacked the back of a van with her stuff. I can't believe I got all this for $400. Anyway, I digress.

Any comments on the set-up as is today? I would eventually like this to be a reef tank - maybe in a year or so. I have so much to learn!

The tank looks terrible this morning - sand deposited everywhere and cloudy. Temp is at 76 so it cooled off quite a bit during tansport (she kept it at 78.) I"m not sure the skimmers are working correctly (have lots of white bubbles under the foam collector, but no deposits actually getting in the collector container)

I'll be reading through all the owner's manuals on the equipment today.

Thanks!!

What a great deal!! You need to try to get the other pc lighting hooked up cause you don't have enough light for the anemones to thrive. You will need a total of 3 to 5 watts per gallon of water for the lighting. Let us know what you need to know specifically because that was a lot to digest. 400$ I can't believe it! Did you mean rock anemone or aiptasia anemone? Rock good, aiptasia bad.

Thanks electrickat! Yeah, I told the gal that I felt like I was stealing this stuff from her at the price I paid.

Boy..how will I fit both of those 48" long pc lights on this bowfront tank and still have it look nice? I'll have to get bulbs for that 2nd unit - is there a specific kind I need to look for? The pc units are about 7 inches wide, 48" long and approx 4-5" tall. Can I just lay them next to each other on some egg crate for now? The prior owner hung the one unit from the ceiling...worked for her, but I have cathedral ceilings so that won't work for me.

I thought rock anemone was synonomous with aiptasia (that's what the prior owner called them anyway). But they are just like those pictures from another post so must be the bad guys. She told me I had to keep up with killing them, just like that other post said. I have a Kent product that is supposed to take care of them so will get cracking on that right away.

I am going to owe so many of you big-time for all the help I'm sure I'll need in the next few weeks, months, years!! LOL.

Just get a combo of daylight and blue actinic bulbs to have an even division of lighting types.

Back
Top Bottom