fort's 57 gallon Rimless Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like it the way it is for now. I think the open look will turn out nice once I start adding coral and fish. I especially like the blue reef chromis I plan on adding and have been told they wash out with a black background.

I'm still on the fence as to whether paint my rimless as well, they seem to look the most awesome when it's all clean open glass. :)

I have the blue reef chromis in my 125g which is painted black on the back and the chromis don't wash out to me. They are soo blue they still stand out.

Good to know, thanks Carey.

I have looked at various builds of the tank I have, and came to the conclusion that the mature builds I liked the most had a clean back panel, no paint, no algae, just open.

Definitely showing some nitrite today, cycle is progressing.

My zoa polyp is completely closed up tight - I assume a result of the ammonia and nitrite. Hope it makes it, but I guess it isn't the end of the world if it doesn't.

Also seeing what I assume are diatoms on my live rock that is closest to the light. Haven't seen any yet on any of my baserock or other live rock pieces, but I assume it is going to spread as a result of starting the tank up. This is the first day I have seen it.

Also, the coraline on my liverock if anything looks like it is fading a bit. Not seeing any growth of it at all. Is this normal in a cycling tank?

Attachments

• image-207633063.jpg
    image-207633063.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Good to know thanks Rick.

Updated FTS. Water is almost crystal clear now the day after adding sand. Good stuff.

Attachments

• image-1735045202.jpg
    image-1735045202.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 117
Yeah, I turned em on for my zoa polyps. Think I should just kill the lights?

I would keep lighting to an absolute minimum, you dont' want any extra algae growing before it's even cycled. :)

Ok, I backed the light all the way back to 10% during the day.

Installed my second heater, a filter sock, my pH probe, a thermometer, and got my alkalinity test kit and HANNA PO4 checker in today. pH meter is reading 8.3 which matches my titration test results.

The brown algae, whatever it is (I think it is diatoms, but it looks like it might be kind of stubbly so hope it isn't something else) definitely spread a little more today while I was gone. Is it possible it is dead or dying coraline? It looks like it is just growing on top of my LR that I purchased, and on top of the coraline that was already there.

Sounds like diatoms to me...sweep something over the area and see if it washes away in the flow...if yes it is diatoms if not it is something else...

Ok Allen, tried that, it did not dissipate. Upon closer inspection and touching it, it looks fuzzy, and it looks like it might be dying coraline.

Here it is. Looks like the coralline is almost peeling off.

Attachments

• image-465452582.jpg
    image-465452582.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 115
Did you calibrate the pH meter?
Which pH titration kit are you using?

Lighting at 10% is similar to tropical moonlight, so that's good. Enough to see what's going on, but minimal for growth. You will be surprised at what survives the cycle and then starts to sprout from the LR even months later. You just need more LR <g>.

I did a 2 pt calibration on it. The titration test is just an API test kit.

Back
Top Bottom