fort's 57 gallon Rimless Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is that from the shrimp? Mine to >8, but I used 90 pounds of uncured LR to start my cycle. My sandstorm lasted a week after adding 300 pounds (unrinsed) of Southdown Playsand (no longer available). I'm pretty sure I used a 3" pr 4" section of pvc to get the sand down. A 1" is pretty narrow for ID. Do you have a 2" piece you can use?

Cheato did not go out today. I'm waiting till Monday to send it (priority mail).

Thanks Cmor. No rush in the chaeto so Mondays fine.

I can probably snag some 2"or 4" from the maintenance shop at work. Biggest I have here at the house is 1 1/4.

And yes, the shrimp and cured LR are the only things in so far that could produce ammonia. I will keep a close eye on it. I would think 1-2ppm ought to be enough to get me cycled and maybe not wipe out my hitchhiker zoas in the process.

The Zoa should be just fine...

I used 3" PVC to deliver my sand and the cloud was pretty much gone that night. Just rinse the sand first!!!

Sand is in. It is really nice sand and just have a slight haze atm. No rinsing was required. I have a whole other box I could put in. It is about 1-1.5" deep. Do I need to add the second box? Not
Going for a DSB... I think it looks good at this depth. But if I need it I will add it.

Attachments

• image-2459081129.jpg
    image-2459081129.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 104
If you are happy with it then stop there. I prefer to have a deeper sand bed so I put more in mine. I like mine to be uneven...

Ok, thanks Allen. I think I am going to leave it for now. I can always add more later pretty easily if I decide I want it. I didn't even have to use PVC.. I just used a big cup, filled it with sand, and dumped it close to the bottom. This seems like some really high quality stuff. The grain size is similar to sugar, and there are some interesting shells and shell pieces in it, but other than that it is clean as can be.

Now, to get the water back to clear, should I just shut down the sump/skimmer/powerheads and let everything sit, or just run as normal? Right now I have everything cranked up and it seems to be already clearing up.

Great, thanks Carey.

Ammonia is up to about 2ppm. I think I am seeing the first traces of 'trite as well.

The water is clearing up fast. Tank looks great with the sand in.

Attachments

• image-1115519734.jpg
    image-1115519734.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 108
Thanks Carey. I am happy with it so far.

I am seeing a little bit of sand getting kicked up now and then. Should I just let it settle in, or should I either turn down my Vortechs (they are set around 70%), or should I move the vortechs higher?

What would the next setting down be? 65% I like your placement as far as height in the tank so I would experiment with the strength before moving them. :)

It will settle and make it uneven.. gives it a more natural look. Unless you mean getting kicked up way high in the water column.

No, it is just barely stirring it... not coming up more than an inch or so, and pretty infrequently. I will see if it just settles in, give it a day or so. I agree that some undulation will look cool.

It'll stop once you start getting established and it gets some biofilm on it... mine did. Mine never really kicked up either, but it did kind of swirl around here and there.

Glad you like the sand... I thought you would.

I threw eggcrate down under mine before I laid my sand down so my rocks would have some support. Just make sure your rocks are down into the sand when you set them, if they aren't in already just can't remember, if you have a sand sifter. I almost had a catastrophy in my 36 from my yellow watchman digging around.

New sand will kick up into a sandstorm occasionally. After the bacteria cover the surface it will settle in minutes.
My ammonia went >8 during the cycle and I just amazed at what life survived and continued to sprout the first year.

The sand looks great. If you don't want a dsb keep it as is. Getting close.

Cool thanks guys.

A few hours later and the tank is almost completely clear again.

Attachments

• image-4288878809.jpg
    image-4288878809.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 101
May just be me, but I think that would look soooo slick with a black background. Have you given any thought to the background - or is the way it is the way you want it? It's all about preference.

Back
Top Bottom