Getting Started from the Very Beginning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Langemc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I've finally got the money saved (so i hope :D ) and have been wanting to do this long enough that i feel it's time to take the plunge. I've been reading up on the saltwater hobby and can't wait to get started. But i was hoping to get advice on the equipment needed for my tank to be successful

I'm hoping to start with a 75 gal fish only tank ( i was told to go as big as your budget will allow as you can do more with your tank down the road) if this is to big to start plz let me know

my problem lies here i went to my local fish store and today and felt like they could tell me i need something and i wouldnt know better, so i was hoping someone could help me prepare for purchasing quality products

what exactly do i need first of all to start a salt water tank, and i would like to be able to leave open the option of a reef tank later on in the future

what exactly do you guys recommend that i need for this aquarium, such as protein skimmer etc... and any brand recommendations? I mean from the bare basics i want to be able to go in to the guy and tell him this is what i need, or to find it on the internet

it may not seem like it but i have read up it's just im still very cautious, i do not want to buy an aquarium and not have it be ready. i understand this is a very broad and time consuming email to reply to but i appreciate in any help in advance

also i was expecting to spend in the range of 1200 - 1400 with getting me started with the tank and all of of the equipment needed... was that an appropriate estimate or was it to much/little. that estimate does not include the amount i will spend on fish though, and live rock, anything else to go into the tank

im drunk and bored so ill make a list of things you will need, but remember im drunk so ill probably forget a thing or two :mrgreen:

check premium aquatics for a lot of this stuff, they have great prices.

3-4 powerheads - bout 60 bucks
heater - 15
100 lbs sand - 50 bucks
nice protein skimmer - 150
sump - depends (make your own if u wanna save money)
overflow - 40 bucks (ebay)
test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph - (50 maybe? look for a kit)
refractometer - 50 bucks
salt - probably around 60 dollars worth would last you enough to fill it and some water changes
ro/do unit - 100 bucks (ebay)

thats really all you need... throw in about 100 lbs of live rock (pretty damn expensive, try to get 50/50 base/live rock) and you will have a damn nice tank. When you wanna get corals, just get a some nice lights (bout 300) and make the sump into a 'fuge (few hundred more in sand, rock rubble, macro algae) and you will be all set. Hope that helps and good luck!

rossv

Get a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. It is a great book and will be a wonderful resource for you.
Before we can really answer specifics, have you decided on the type of filtration you want? Are you using a sump or not? Live rock? Once you get this narrowed down it will be a bit easier to answer.

:smilecolros: :smilecolros: Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

Back
Top Bottom