Gfo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there such a thing as using to much gfo? Phosban says 1 gram per gallon of saltwater. What happens if you use more? Will it last longer using more? Is it harmfull?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I find it to work pretty good. It just doesn't last more than a month. It doesn't affect my corals negatively.I just use 5g more that the recommended dosage. I know the real issues are from my feeding regiment I can't find the sweet spot. I try a different regiment after every time I replace gfo to see how long till the diatoms return. I just found myself feeding to little at one point and I know cause one of my fish was getting to skinny and one died. So I upped the feedings and tank went right back to diatoms. Its tough to find the sweet spot. I'm going to ditch my tang but I haven't found a suitable home for him yet. He is part of my problem he is to large for the system. I can tell he isn't comfortable.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It wasn't diatoms, they come from silicates and really aren't harmful at all. GFO goes after phosphates, which feed algae and cyanobacteria which can easily be an issue if not managed.
As for media that goes after phosphates, none of it lasts more than 30 days.

It is very tough to find that sweet spot. I'd rather feed my livestock well and have some algae rather than have all my fish and corals starve just to have a picture perfect tank. If I see a little GHA I just pick it out manually. Although our systems are supposed to look perfect and sterile, this is not the reality of the ocean. We can only do our best for our pets.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It is very tough to find that sweet spot. I'd rather feed my livestock well and have some algae rather than have all my fish and corals starve just to have a picture perfect tank. If I see a little GHA I just pick it out manually. Although our systems are supposed to look perfect and sterile, this is not the reality of the ocean. We can only do our best for our pets.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Agreed

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom