Good Calcium Numers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've never known exactly where you want your calcium levels at for sure. Mine are right around the 460 mark. What is reccomended.

I keep my Ca between 420 & 450 and try to keep my Alk around 11 (but with reef crystals it seems to like to run a little higher).

Calcium level

New reef tank set up - only two weeks old. Question about Calcium level - my tank was running low and LFS had me boost the amounts of Turbo Calcium and Liquid Reactor to stablize the tank. I finally reached 400-420 yesterday. Now, how do I know how much calcium to add each day to remain STABLE? Haven't started adding any carols yet. Only a few snails and crabs. And when is the best time to test the calcium level? Do you have a calcium testing kit that you recommend?

I would not worry too much about CA unless you are starting out with hard corals. Softies don't require the high CA levels like hard corals do. Some salt mixes will take care of all you need for the most part.

My oceanic tests at 445 CA out of the bucket. I used IO for the first year with just softies and some LPS and I did not dose anything. It does not have to be complicated.

I try to keep my CA and Alk balanced now since I have some SPS. As long as you are balanced, that perfect numberis not always needed.

For good health of your general marine livestock keep you CA level between 350-450 ppm and your ALK between 7-12dkh and you will be fine. No need to shoot for specific numbers.

Calicum Numbers

Thanks to everyone for your advise. I have read so many things, talked to LFS and sometimes it is scary. I plan to start with soft corals and see how I do. I think I might be ready to add one or two.

Thanks for everyones comments.

Sharonafix

Most LFS will tell you that you have to add all kinds of trace minerals, iodine, etc. This is also not normally necessary. My LFS could not believe that I added nothing.

Again thanks for all the input as Sharonafix stated. I wonder if most LFS around here actually know what the heck their tanking about sometimes. I have done lots of research on certain things and for them to tell me something totally different than the 200 pages of material I have researched is disheartning to loose the trust their.

Back
Top Bottom